• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1 more time...17 wheel users pic/tire size thread

Nitto rubber?

you need an R/T or Bee hood on that thing. Kidding. Looks good!

Yes. Nitto 450

I looked for a long time for a Ramcharger or an R/T hood but could not find one before the paint went on. I am still looking though!

Again...tires were just bolted on to check for clearance and how they looked. So tread pattern is not facing the correct direction.

Attachments

• 71 Charger Front 17inch Rallye.jpg
    71 Charger Front 17inch Rallye.jpg
    76.3 KB · Views: 898
  • 71 Charger Down Side Jan 28, 2013.jpg
    71 Charger Down Side Jan 28, 2013.jpg
    77.4 KB · Views: 895
Told you the 275 would fit in the back with room to spare. Looks perfect! Well almost. 295/45 would be more impressive!!!!!! ;)

Yes, you were right! I actually wanted 235/55/17 and 275/55/17 but did not want "suv tires". So once Larry gets the car done I may look it over and play with the ride height a bit before I have the alignment done.

Wow...carcrazy I'm a big fan of your new YO Rallye's - they look killer! I'd definitely buy a set if I didn't just buy 17's for mine (or if I wasn't broke).

Like you, I have 50 series Nitto 450's out back on mine - fills up the wheel wells nicely.

My wheels are 17x8 MB Old School's with '0' offset on all corners
Rear tires are Nitto 450 275/50R17's (27.9" diameter)
Fronts are 235/55R17's (27.1" diameter) aka "SUV tires" lol

GTX 027.jpg

Wow...carcrazy I'm a big fan of your new YO Rallye's - they look killer!

View attachment 100253

Thanks

The 235/55/17's are not the issue! I wanted matching brand and tread pattern tires on both the front and rear. So looking at 275/55/17...they were all listed as "SUV". The only pattern I could find that I liked was in the General Grabber line but they did not offer them in a 235/55/17 for the front. So back to square one I went. Heck 235/55/17 is a stock late model Mustang tire so there is a lot of options in that size. But the 275/55...almost nothing.

Haha I hear ya bud. I was nervous about the sidewall being too tall on mine (both fronts and rears) when I bought them, but they worked out well.

Again, your wheels and tires look awesome...I can't wait to see a '71-'74 Plymouth with the new Rallyes.

GTXplicity, I personally think your wheels look GREAT on your car! It gives it both modern and retro appeal. I actually was going to go with a similar wheel as you have. I just did not think it would look right on my car with blue/black top and light grey centers. If my car did not have a vinyl top I would have bought them.

Attachments

• 71 Charger wheel option.jpg
    71 Charger wheel option.jpg
    102.7 KB · Views: 841
I think I could learn to live with 17" wheels, but I can't live without RWL tires on them. Guess I'll stay with 15s.

This is the only reason I haven't bought the 17" YO rallyes yet, I need RWL, must be a yinzer thing. I actually bought a set of police wheels, mainly for the near new BFGs they came with, they are getting powder coated black. I'm going to run them this year instead of the rallye wheels.

- - - Updated - - -

Man your car looks good, nice work! Have you thought about the amber lights? Some of us 71-74 guys went on that kick last year and nobody has done it to a black car yet, I think it would look amazing.

Wow...carcrazy I'm a big fan of your new YO Rallye's - they look killer! I'd definitely buy a set if I didn't just buy 17's for mine (or if I wasn't broke).

Like you, I have 50 series Nitto 450's out back on mine - fills up the wheel wells nicely.

My wheels are 17x8 MB Old School's with '0' offset on all corners

View attachment 100253

0759_zpsdb4427f5.jpg

0757_zpsdd76b16f.jpg

0761_zps4bcff109.jpg

0763_zpse94ba6b6.jpg

0758_zps50cfaadd.jpg

0756_zpsff93bac4.jpg

0750_zpsec0ca7d2.jpg

Year One 17" Rally Wheels. 295/45R17 Mickey T in the back. 255/50R17 Nitto 555 in the front. Ignore my rear valance that has to be adjusted. It is still a work in progress! :D

Looks GREAT!!! I think the wheel size was "made to fit" the B-bodies!!! But what is all that stuff on the ground???

Wookie, Awsome B you got there. Have to ask ,are your rear window louvers original or reproduction.I'd like to find some for my Charger, but the price of $1600 was a bit steep for me.Have seen plastic repos on Ebay for Road Runners & Chargers for around $300.00 but wondered about looks & fit.The ones on you B look great. Thanks

Wookie, Awsome B you got there. Have to ask ,are your rear window louvers original or reproduction.I'd like to find some for my Charger, but the price of $1600 was a bit steep for me.Have seen plastic repos on Ebay for Road Runners & Chargers for around $300.00 but wondered about looks & fit.The ones on you B look great. Thanks

Mine are the aftermarket ones. They fit pretty good.

Wheels and tires sizes and fitment

:headbang:man that is one slick car .If i could afford the wheels and tiresI might be perswaided to loose the RWL forever ..But that is the hard part ....sharp car period....

- - - Updated - - -

man that is one slick car .If i could afford the wheels and tiresI might be perswaided to loose the RWL forever ..But that is the hard part ....sharp car period....

- - - Updated - - -

man that is one slick car .If i could afford the wheels and tiresI might be perswaided to loose the RWL forever ..But that is the hard part ....sharp car period....

Wookie, that is the nicest 71 B I think I've ever seen. Nice work. Those wheels really round out the package.

Wow, they sure look better than I'd expected, those Y.O. Rallies. Your car looks awesome, Carcrazyguy!
I have 17" Wheels on my RR too. I wanted something a bit more can-am road race looking and went for Black Wheels. They are 17x9 - 4" backspace on all corners. Tires are 225/50-17 and 255/50-17 Falken "performance SUV" tires :)

RR-2012-01.jpgRR-2012-02.jpg

Wow, they sure look better than I'd expected, those Y.O. Rallies. Your car looks awesome, Carcrazyguy!

I have...... 17x9 - 4" backspace on all corners. Tires are 225/50-17 and 255/50-17 Falken "performance SUV" tires :)

Thanks for the compliment! Your car looks great as well! :yes:

Mounted new rear tires today. General Grabber UHP (SUV tires) 275/55/17. Best looking tire I could find in that size. They fill up the wheel well niclely and fit inside the top fender lip. I went with these because they were the biggest tires I could fit on the rims that came with the car and can't afford new rims right now. Rims are 17x8 with 4 in backspacing. I wish the previous owner woulda got 17x9 with 5in of backspacing because I've got 2 inches of clearance on the inside to the leaf spring. Then I would have went with 295's. Also polished up the rims today. There were badly oxidized and dull. The results we're not too hard to achieve. I started out with just rubbing compound and my drill and that proved to be too much work and was wearing out buffer wheels too quickly. Step 1 was giving a good wash with Turtle Wax aluminum rim cleaner. It was the only thing I could find at Pep Boys with phosphoric acid in it. This got rid of most of the oxidation. Step 2 was a wipe down with Never Dull to get rid of remaining oxidation. Step 3 was applying a liberal amount of Blue Magic Metal Polish cream also bought from pep boys. Didn't really rub it in, just allowed it cake up and dry up on the rim. Step 4 was polishing with a cone shaped buffer on my drill. My cell pics are crappy but in person they do look chrome now instead of just aluminum.

Photo0162.jpgPhoto0159.jpgPhoto0163.jpgPhoto0164.jpgPhoto0165.jpgPhoto0166.jpg

Mounted new rear tires today. General Grabber UHP (SUV tires) 275/55/17. Best looking tire I could find in that size. They fill up the wheel well niclely and fit inside the top fender lip. I went with these because they were the biggest tires I could fit on the rims that came with the car and can't afford new rims right now. Rims are 17x8 with 4 in backspacing. I wish the previous owner woulda got 17x9 with 5in of backspacing because I've got 2 inches of clearance on the inside to the leaf spring. Then I would have went with 295's. Also polished up the rims today. There were badly oxidized and dull. The results we're not too hard to achieve. I started out with just rubbing compound and my drill and that proved to be too much work and was wearing out buffer wheels too quickly. Step 1 was giving a good wash with Turtle Wax aluminum rim cleaner. It was the only thing I could find at Pep Boys with phosphoric acid in it. This got rid of most of the oxidation. Step 2 was a wipe down with Never Dull to get rid of remaining oxidation. Step 3 was applying a liberal amount of Blue Magic Metal Polish cream also bought from pep boys. Didn't really rub it in, just allowed it cake up and dry up on the rim. Step 4 was polishing with a cone shaped buffer on my drill. My cell pics are crappy but in person they do look chrome now instead of just aluminum.

View attachment 104120View attachment 104119View attachment 104121View attachment 104122View attachment 104123View attachment 104124

Holy smokes! They do look chrome! They look great - I might have to do that to my wheels...

Mounted new rear tires today. General Grabber UHP (SUV tires) 275/55/17. Best looking tire I could find in that size.

That is the exact tire I really, really wanted for the rear. I just could not get a matched tire size for the front. I decided (my OCD) that I wanted to stay the same brand and tread on front and rear. But I think the 275/55's look great and are a perfect size for the 71-74 wheel opening!! Looks great!!!!

This orange car has got to be my favorite 70's RR on here. Perfect tire wheel combo and stance. Can we get some more photos from side and rear? What year is that car?

This is tattooedblue's car , hope he doesn't mind me adding his car and wheel specs :

Wheel are Torquelite, Aluminum 17 in. x 8 in., 5 x 4.5 in. Bolt Circle, with a 4.50 in. Backspace..
Tires are 255-45-17 and 275-40-17

I asked him for the specs last year as I plan on 17's as well - there are a few others here that run them and I'm sure they'll add info when they see the thread.

View attachment 100096

Auto Transport Service
Back