• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

10 year old M&H drag radials or street tires?

Paul_G

Local time
6:18 PM
Reaction score
Tires get hard as they age. Going to duct Tape drags in a couple weeks. What would be better on the track, new Michelin Pilot Sports, or 10 year old M&H drag radials?

Tired Slant 6 or 600 horsepower?

I would like the drag radials. Now, how much tread, and we’re they stored inside or out in the sunshine?

I have michelin pilots on the back of a Z28. Worthless as a drag tire, a 275hp 350 obliterates them. Drag radials for the win, 100%.
Edit: there are softening treatments for drag tires. I have never personally tried any of them, however.

Tired Slant 6 or 600 horsepower?

I would like the drag radials. Now, how much tread, and we’re they stored inside or out in the sunshine?
600 HP. The 505 went in the car this week.

What they look like.
1663811645703.png

1663811674707.png
1663811714422.png

I was going to put the drag radials on different wheels just for the track. Didnt want new for aging reason. They will sit on the shelf all but one or two weekends a year. A waste. But, maybe I can run some Nitto NT 555 RII, or M/T ET Street S/S on the rear all the time. How do they do on the track?

If they have been stored inside, climate controlled even better, and away from the sun those tires will be fine for a fun weekend.

It's all in where and how they are stored.

Tom

If they have been stored inside, climate controlled even better, and away from the sun those tires will be fine for a fun weekend.

It's all in where and how they are stored.

Tom
Not true,
rubber breaks down regardless.
For the OP - all sorts of money in the motor and car and you want to risk it all on running old tires. not worth it….

It's about your life and more importantly your competitors. Have someone that knows tires, look them over. 100 mph rollovers are shitty

Neither with that HP level:
If you get up to Las Vegas I will find you some of
my slicks to use of buy for almost nothing.
Hate to see you get hurt!!

Tires are your only contact with the track whether you are accelerating or braking. Your horsepower and brakes rely totally on your tires.
The most under-rated part of a car and the most important. Nothing matters if the tires don't grab the road.

I remember years ago one of my buddies Dad had a tubbed out Chevy II bracket car going 10:20's. When he put it away. He didn't race it for over 11 years sitting on 4 flat tires. He said you guys help me getting running again and we will take it. We changed all the fluids, primed the engine, air up the tires and got it running. He said we will run it as is. (Not recommended on 11 year old tires/slicks). He made 7 consecutive 10:20-10:40 passes still and put it back away again. I was surprised that it still hooked on old slicks.

Auto Transport Service
Back