• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1938 Cadillac build ! Not org

KIMG1395.JPG
KIMG1400.JPG
KIMG1410.JPG
KIMG1411.JPG
KIMG1412.JPG
KIMG1413.JPG

So after this gets cleaned up and welded I'll need to brace it then add the tail end of my frame back on
I'm overall very happy and glad it's about done as I'm getting over cutting and welding . The assy will be a nice change of pace

Well after popping open the rear that I was going to use I found a ton of metal!
I was going to fix it but the cost was up there $600-1000
I got lucky guy listed a rear said it was exactly what I needed was rebuilt car then got wrecked not long after bought it for $275 got home realized it was different!
It's the biggest 8.5 not the 7.5 mounting areas are off by a little but I can and did fix this got it all back together after cutting and welding the upper ladder bars .a bit shorter.
All works good now comes the front end parts then air ride after I set body on so I can see where I want ride hight!

KIMG1419.JPG KIMG1420.JPG KIMG1421.JPG KIMG1422.JPG KIMG1423.JPG KIMG1453.JPG KIMG1454.JPG KIMG1455.JPG KIMG1456.JPG KIMG1457.JPG

A few things happened I got rear In place got the upper bars shortened and welded up got 1.5 degree out of rear so went to install front suspension well parts are wrong so had to wait on that . So decided to get motor mocked up see how things sit and make a trans cross member brace !
So I got it all in made up a brace tomorrow I'll weld it in or figure out a bolt in method!
Checked degrees on trans 1.5 again! So we're good to go with angle! Now I just need to coble together a drive shaft I have two in scrap pile I'll double check what end fits then find a drive shaft shop hopefully we can salvage some parts !
But tomorrow I should get the rest of my parts for front end once it's all here I can get ride hight figured out and make air bag mounts and get them put in place!

I've never done air ride before do I need helper shocks ? Some people say yes some say no. The fronts I'd have to make something the rear I can use the old mounting area if there needed
I just don't really see the need for them but I could be wrong !

Ok little more for done yesterday . Got the front end on and messed with the rear air bag (I don't like where it ended up) I'll be cutting it back out and trying again!
Anyways we are now looking at a full drop I think car will be dang close to ground I might need to adjust if it hits ground!
Need to order the steering gear box and get motor mounts set ! Then weld in trans brace !
And finally I'll be able to get the body back on frame to adjust ride hight and so on!

Guys if you are interested in this still please leave some feed back if no one wants to see it I get it no big deal . I'm having fun doing this!
KIMG1538.JPG
KIMG1539.JPG
KIMG1541.JPG
KIMG1540.JPG
KIMG1537.JPG
KIMG1535.JPG

KIMG1560.JPG
KIMG1561.JPG
KIMG1562.JPG

Got the body out of the shed ! Got it up on trailer to pull around front !
Tomorrow I'll get a jeep here to get it jockeyed out of the yard to the big truck to pull it around front ! Goal is to get body on frame so I can finish mounting points ect. Then after all looks good on it goes for good! KIMG1563.JPG

KIMG1571.JPG
KIMG1572.JPG
KIMG1573.JPG
KIMG1574.JPG
KIMG1575.JPG

Don't worry it's going to get lower the back end is not set properly!
Just had to fight to get body in position to see if I even got the numbers right (witch I did!)

Got her a bit more lower need to clear 2 more inch's before she's actually sitting on frame! Had to cut top air bag perches to high on frame taking up body area. Didn't like them anyways will make new from scratch will fit / look better too!
Had to section some floor pan under rear seat to clear a little of the frame that couldn't leave again not a huge deal seat will hide it anyways especially since I'll be crafting one from scratch (wrap around style like the old t birds but bigger! ) Alot bigger
KIMG1583.JPG
KIMG1582.JPG

What do you guys think of these tail lights there kinda growing on me a bit .I bought 59-60 style bullet lights but kinda thinking they have been over done now
KIMG1585.JPG
KIMG1587.JPG
KIMG1589.JPG

Also yeah I f-ed up used wrong measurements need to add 5" to frame to get front wheels center! Can't believe I did that !
But it will make moving motor back a bit easier now and clear the headers I have so ok problem I guess!

Great thread...don't know how I missed it. I weld body panels etc but I wish i had enough faith in my welding to weld a chassis back together!!!! I also like the tail lights.

Ain't gonna lie guys years ago I welded tons of stuff I had a $20000 machine (works stuff) I learned on that unit! I thought I was a natural born welder . Once I got thrown to curb because of my back I was welding with a lincoln weld pac I bought for $60 I thought damn must of list my touch not welding for do many years !
I got behind a buddy's hobart one day and my God I can weld again?!?!?!?!
I sold weld pac that afternoon and bought a vulcan for $1000 it's been great I'm only running 110 and I'm burning into this frame nicely!
It's all about the right equipment !
I've yet to do thin metal with this new unit we will see
I got alot of splatter to clean up from the old unit !

So alot has been done recently!
I had a slight measurement issue and the front wheel s were not centered in wheel wells had to pull body back off and add 5" to frame then re plate around it all!
Then I set body back as a test fit . Wheels lined up thank God! So I then went on to relieving the trunk area where the new frame section needed to go higher then the floor so I trimmed around and now it's sitting fully on the frame! I mocked up the front fenders I need to get the rest of sheet metal out to mock it all up so I know where to make mounting points for the front of the fenders!
I'm happy with the rest hight next trick is hook up the air ride system to make sure everything flows good !
Do you guys think the hight is good at rest?
KIMG1687.JPG
KIMG1690.JPG
KIMG1689.JPG
KIMG1688.JPG

I appreciate the good words they keep me motivated! Thanks!!!!!!

Auto Transport Service
Back