• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1959 Desoto 383 upgrades

jayzee

Local time
8:59 AM
Reaction score
New to Mopars here. I impulse bought a very rare 1959 Desoto needing a frame off restoration. I am looking at how to get a solid simple 450hp out of this B block 383. I have a few ideas to keep it from looking to out of place in a 59 Desoto

late 60s Dodge 383 master rebuild kit
aftermarket dual plane intake
850 CFM quadrajet (to much, to little? Im used to Buick v8s which love ALOT of carb!)
KB hyper pistons
stock crank and rods
good stock heads or aluminum aftermarket (which should I choose for cost?)
mild cam (don't have preference as im used to 50-s and 60s Buicks which love crazy cam grinds)
stock A488 torqueflight and rear end (non posi, ratio unk at this time)
electric fuel pump
aluminum radiator

what are your guys thoughts?

I had a purple 59 Imperial
kb pistons available?? - you do have a b block not a rb 383 - right
forget the hp build for torque
no frame except front stub- which will need a rebuild and new frame bushings
try RARE PARTS in Stockton CA
stock heads are closed chamber wedges- cc them and report
any BBM head will fit- question what fits with the available pistons- get that sorted out first
I did several 383's with 440 cranks gives 426 custom pistons but what's availble now?
we used open chamber heads with quench dome- I still have a sample
start with 9:1 compression and 256 lunati voodoo for a strawman combination and go from there assuming stock converter and gears
nothing wrong with the carb but you have to make the carb to trans linkage work

- you do have a b block not a rb 383 - right
Correct me, if I'm wrong...
I was always told, a 1959 model 383 (rare?), was the only RB 383. But, they were real RB motors. After that, went to B (low) blocks, for the later years.

Auto Transport Service
Back