• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1962 Dodge Dart interior/exterior color combinations

cmenrad

Local time
2:28 AM
Reaction score
Hello,

Does anybody have the dealer album for the 1962 Dodge model year. I am interested in knowing what exterior colors could be ordered if the interior was Cocoa. I assume white, Buff, cordovan, nutmeg and beige. But curious if black could be ordered? Was it on the list of "approved" color combos? Was Flax or any of the greens acceptable? I believe in the day you could order whatever you wanted but just curios what the factory authorized. I have a buff colored dodge with cocoa interior and would love to paint it a different color. I also have a 62 Plymouth Fury in Luminous Brown (which is very mauve-like and probably similar to the Dodge Nutmeg) with the cocoa interior and hopping to get some variety here with the dodge repaint vs keeping the dull looking buff. Thanks for any input you have!

maybe ask this in one of the many other specific forums here
this is just the welcome wagon not as much viewership
it's really for getting to know each other
sharing a few photos or background, not a tech Q&A etc.

Maybe try like the "years specific" forum sections

or the General Discussion section

or even the Members restoration threads

there's always the search option on the top right of every page
it will have some already covered topics

Good luck

I don't have a dealer album or any way to know exactly what color combinations were popular. All the old timers say that you could order them just like you wanted so anything is possible.
I have and have had many 62 Darts in various conditions. This is what I have seen;
Polar White, Buff, Cordovan, Nutmeg and Beige all with Cocoa interior.
We had green 2 door post that was green with green interior, a 2 door post that was blue with blue interior

I currently have a Polar White 2 door with Cocoa interior and a red 4 door with red interior.
My best friend has a Dart 440 that is Polar white with green interior.

Soon we will have a 2 door post car that was originally white, now red, with a light and dark gray color interior.
The name for this interior escapes me at the moment.

20181128_120724.jpg
20171109_094554.jpg
And mint green with red interior.

And rust bondo dirt primer white with red interior.
I asked a similar question some time ago and discovered mine came with red interior, white headliner, and black carpet.

20200919_150747.jpg

Welcome from Missouri!!

I've never seen this interior with a black exterior. Maybe you might be talking about cloth bench seat of the same color. Don't know why it wouldn't work though. I have different dealer brochures. I'll try to dig them out tomorrow. Most black cars in '62 had red interriors, red and white, black, black and white.

Edit: Must have been the grey on the darts. Black only shows up for the Polara in the selection chart I posted.

20180410_202712.jpg

20180324_181657.jpg

Last edited:
Looks like you just picked your paint then picked your interior.

View attachment 1038579 View attachment 1038580
This is exactly what I was looking for! Thank you. I knew someone would have it! I do know that you could order and they would build anything, but there were suggested combinations that the designers knew looked good and would help people from getting too crazy with interior/exterior combinations. Perfect! Thanks again

I've never seen this interior with a black exterior. Maybe you might be talking about cloth bench seat of the same color. Don't know why it wouldn't work though. I have different dealer brochures. I'll try to dig them out tomorrow. Most black cars in '62 had red interriors, red and white, black, black and white.

Edit: Must have been the grey on the darts. Black only shows up for the Polara in the selection chart I posted.

View attachment 1038433
View attachment 1038432
yes. you are correct. Cocoa was not on the list for black cars. However, I have seen a max wedge creation where they did do black with cocoa interior and it actually looked quite good. The car I am getting is Buff. depending on how it looks in real life I may keep that color (it is original paint) or try Dusty Rose. That is an authorized combination from the sheet you supplied. Ive ordered a color chip so I can see it. Hard to tell if its a silver lavender color or silver pink color from photos.

maybe ask this in one of the many other specific forums here
this is just the welcome wagon not as much viewership
it's really for getting to know each other
sharing a few photos or background, not a tech Q&A etc.

Maybe try like the "years specific" forum sections

or the General Discussion section

or even the Members restoration threads

there's always the search option on the top right of every page
it will have some already covered topics

Good luck
oops. I thought I had started a new thread. But it was responded to perfectly with the information I was seeking and helped me a lot in making a decision.

And mint green with red interior.
Factory available or not, I've been thinking on painting mine in the same color.

Mine is white with full on red interior, I thought about painting it blue because I didn't want the usual white, black, red, grey, silver.

Feel free to post more pics of that gem, from any and all angles.

My '62 Polara 500 is the Shell Beige / UU1 and it wasn't available for the Dart. Don't know why. Trying to find the formula was nonexistent. My local PPG shop used their computer on it and still had a hard time matching it exactly. Well they did quite the research and comparisons and discovered a Ford color, Pastel Alabaster that was pretty much dead on. These formulas are long gone with all of the new paints that come along every year. The paint companies delete them over a period of time.

Another color I needed was the Dusty Rose for the interior. This color falls under what they call Cocoa as the interior color. This ended up being another Ford color called Rose Beige. Eckler's happend to have it and it's a good match. I probably could have found it through PPG but Eckler's was selling it in spray bombs and I thought it would be easier at the time. There's five different colors inside this Polara 500.

You'll find that some of the Plymouth colors are the same as Dodge but they use a different name and paint code. Another thing I don't understand.

Here's a paint sample in case you don't have it. (Any photos on this site are not in detail when they are in a post. Click on the photo to enlarge it and see it in more detail)
62dgcol.jpg

Last edited:
My '62 Polara 500 is the Shell Beige / UU1 and it wasn't available for the Dart. Don't know why. Trying to find the formula was nonexistent. My local PPG shop used their computer on it and still had a hard time matching it exactly. Well they did quite the research and comparisons and discovered a Ford color, Pastel Alabaster that was pretty much dead on. These formulas are long gone with all of the new paints that come along every year. The paint companies delete them over a period of time.

Another color I needed was the Dusty Rose for the interior. This color falls under what they call Cocoa as the interior color. This ended up being another Ford color called Rose Beige. Eckler's happend to have it and it's a good match. I probably could have found it through PPG but Eckler's was selling it in spray bombs and I thought it would be easier at the time. There's five different colors inside this Polara 500.

You'll find that some of the Plymouth colors are the same as Dodge but they use a different name and paint code. Another thing I don't understand.

Here's a paint sample in case you don't have it. (Any photos on this site are not in detail when they are in a post. Click on the photo to enlarge it and see it in more detail)
View attachment 1039111
Thanks for the photo. Shell Beige was unique to the Polara only because they were trying to match the white color on the seat bolsters which was more of an eggshell color. If you ever need to match or create colors you might try this website: https://www.autocolorlibrary.com
This company is in San Diego and they can create any classic car color using todays water based paints. They have all the formulas for both interior and exterior colors. They can make single and two stage paints. They created the paint for a few cars of mine so there is no guessing about color. It's exact!

Factory available or not, I've been thinking on painting mine in the same color.

Mine is white with full on red interior, I thought about painting it blue because I didn't want the usual white, black, red, grey, silver.

023899B1-7D75-4655-A9B0-A537430EFCB3.jpeg 9785277A-3773-48DC-9A98-3ED58CF1C406.jpeg

I know this is an old thread...But if anyone has the paint/interior color information for the 1962 Plymouths (fury), I sure would like to see it. I'm sure it might be the same as the 1962 dodges, but then again might be different. Thanks

Auto Transport Service
Back