• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1962 Gas Tank Removal

khryslerkid

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
2:31 AM
Reaction score
I'm about to remove the gas tank on my 1962 Dodge. Will the bracket on the filler tube pass down through the opening, or does the filler tube have to come out of the tank first?

Screenshot_2017-04-07-15-39-20.jpg

Damn, I was hoping for a different answer! Lol

That grommet is hard as a rock...

They must of had a special on undercoat at the factory when they did this car. Looks like they went mud bogging it a pond full of it!
20170407_160237.jpg

Never had to do it but it sounds like copious amounts of penetrating oil on the grommet! Love the '68's!

Old Bee...
heat is a 2-fer...
It will separate the neck from the tank...maybe even the tank from the car...:eek:

Don't think I removed the tube when my tank came out. You won't get another one of those seals.The new tanks have a seal (AMD)that won't work with the original tanks ,or so I've read.

Undo the strap nut,remove strap (end has a "T" shaped end...twist to remove) , back out tank.

image.jpeg

Maybe khryslerkid will chime in, but if I remember, the bracket when unbolted will still take up too much room for the filler neck to slide down thru the hole(?) The newer models had a removable brkt with a clamp on them.

Like I said Pull the filler tube! I've never had any problems with new grommets leaking with new tanks!

Well I'm working on it as we speak. Drained nine gallons of stinking stale gas out of that tank!

I'm spraying the grommet and working it. I need a couple of new cuss words. The usual ones aren't working.

Will report back later.

Don't think I removed the tube when my tank came out. You won't get another one of those seals.The new tanks have a seal (AMD)that won't work with the original tanks ,or so I've read.

Undo the strap nut,remove strap (end has a "T" shaped end...twist to remove) , back out tank.

View attachment 411580
The 62 and 63 tanks used an o-ring for a seal, the 64 and 65 tanks used I big grommet to seal the neck to the tank. New tanks all use the grommet, I think. The necks are the same so it doesn't matter.

View attachment 411580

You had it right, not necessary to remove the fill tube. Also to look at where the strap goes into that slot, you wouldn't know that it twists out. I swung the bolt end toward the drivers side and it fell right out. Thanks for the tips.

Didn't even need to use any heat
360.gif

Word of advice! If you haven't gotten the tank yet Get the Spectra Brand It's made in Canada and is a galvanized steel, not just coated on the out side like the china crap!

Last edited:
Word of advice! If you haven't gotten the tank yet Get the Spectrum Brand It's made in Canada and is a galvanized steel, not just coated on the out side like the china crap!
Bought one at Chrysler Carlisle last July along with the 3/8" sending unit. Ordered the tank insulation pad and stainless steel ground clip from Classic Industries :thumbsup:
20170407_203330.jpg

20170407_203753.jpg

20170408_150509.jpg

Auto Transport Service
Back