• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1962 Plymouth Max Wedge Hood Bracing

Scatpacktom

Local time
11:10 AM
Reaction score
I see a lot of cars that claim to be authentic Max Wedge cars that still have their under hood bracing. It seems like a few of the 62s on Bob Moshers website have their braces as well. Is it one of those things thats not worth doing? Oviously the air cleaners do not interfere with the braces. Maybe removing the braces turns the hood into a flexible flyer. I know what all the books say. Who has intimate knowledge of these cars?

62's have different bracing than the the 63-64, I know for sure 63-64 had the bracing removed on max wedge cars. I had a real 63 steel front with no hood scoop and the bracing was cut out factory. after I sold the car I built a clone 63 and drove it awhile with the bracing in place and the drivers air cleaner would rub on the brace. so I cut them out and put a scoop on it. don't know for sure about the 62's tho

62's have different bracing than the the 63-64, I know for sure 63-64 had the bracing removed on max wedge cars. I had a real 63 steel front with no hood scoop and the bracing was cut out factory. after I sold the car I built a clone 63 and drove it awhile with the bracing in place and the drivers air cleaner would rub on the brace. so I cut them out and put a scoop on it. don't know for sure about the 62's tho
Supposedly the braces were cut for clearance only. My friend has an original Max Wedge Savoy and his hood has the braces neatly cut out from the factory. It obviously wasn't a weight issue since those early cars were already light compared to their competition at the time. Since the other companies would vigorously address the issues of weight and size during the incoming years, that is probably when Chrysler cut out the braces on even the steel cars for clearance and weight reduction altogether. The aluminum components made for an even more compelling car.

Not directly a part of this thread but thought it a good place to interject this. One good thing about the 62 Plymouth hood. That circular area in the center works perfect for a single carb on a high rise. I did this on my old 62. The 14" air cleaner cleared the hole, albeit to the passenger side a bit and forward. Cut the hole out and welded up the cut edges.

SDC11455.JPG

I cut my '63 330's hood bracing to mimic the factory cuts. It works fine and the hood is plenty stable.

I see a lot of cars that claim to be authentic Max Wedge cars that still have their under hood bracing. It seems like a few of the 62s on Bob Moshers website have their braces as well. Is it one of those things thats not worth doing? Oviously the air cleaners do not interfere with the braces. Maybe removing the braces turns the hood into a flexible flyer. I know what all the books say. Who has intimate knowledge of these cars?
The original factory cars had the braces removed in the 62' and 63' model years. The hood used on the MW cars was complete with the braces that were "CUT OUT". It was not a special hood or special bracing. The original problem was that the braces in the 62' model year would not clear the tops of the air cleaners. The 1962 K member had different motor mounts that was a 1962 only year. In 63' the K member motor mounts were changed and that dropped the engine slightly and it would clear the braces. But the braces were cut out anyway for a safety matter in that there was occasions that if the brace came in contact with the stock air cleaner it could cause the air cleaner to compress down and interfer with the throttle linkage and there were times that would result that the throttle could be held open. NOT GOOD!!

If the braces are removed it takes a great deal of strength and stability from the hood. The springs were not changed. If you are opening and closing the hood without the cross members you need to be very careful not to "drop" the hood to close or grab it from the top and slam it down. If you are careful, and gently lower the hood slowly, you can prevent damage to the hood. But in the heat of the battle, this was not often done and it is a common way to confirm a MW car due to the pinch crease about mid way between the front and rear of the hood. And it will be on both sides. Hope this answers you questions.

62' Savoy 001.jpg

MVC-008S.JPG

The reason was all about the K member for 62'. It had a completely different motor mount than 63' and later. The 62' was the year that caused the problem with the throttle linkage interference.

Supposedly the braces were cut for clearance only. My friend has an original Max Wedge Savoy and his hood has the braces neatly cut out from the factory. It obviously wasn't a weight issue since those early cars were already light compared to their competition at the time. Since the other companies would vigorously address the issues of weight and size during the incoming years, that is probably when Chrysler cut out the braces on even the steel cars for clearance and weight reduction altogether. The aluminum components made for an even more compelling car.
Likely your friends car is a 63'. In 63' some of the early built cars had the brace removed and later in production it was left in. But the issue was created in 62' with the K member that was changed in 63'.

Likely your friends car is a 63'. In 63' some of the early built cars had the brace removed and later in production it was left in. But the issue was created in 62' with the K member that was changed in 63'.
Negative. My friends car is a bonafide June built '62 Savoy Max Wedge three speed car and the hood brace center section was removed at the factory to clear as you said, the air cleaners. He is the second owner.

Last edited:
I'm going to use a 63-5 K frame. As much as I want the car to look authentic I also don't want a kink in my hood. This car will be raced so the hood will be up and down all the time.

So using the later K frame will allow clearance for the air cleaners and if I needed "a little more" I could put some spacers between the K Frame and the rails?

Ran a maxwedge with a crossram in my 62 with intact hood bracing, but I never used the air cleaners. Bracket racer.

Maybe swap in a '63-'65 front K-frame with appropriate mounts.to lower the engine? I knew the '62 K-frame was different, because I had '62 Dart that I swapped a 383 into from a Poly. But, it is news to me that it changed the position of the engine, relative to to 63 and newer.

Negative. My friends car is a bonafide June built '62 Savoy Max Wedge three speed car and the hood brace center section was removed at the factory to clear as you said, the air cleaners. He is the second owner.
Well, as it has been said about MOPAR's over the years, never say never. But the issue with clearance was created by the K member. I would be interested as to what K member is in your friends car. You can easily see where the motor mounts were located to see if it was early member or a later one.

This is the engine block that is my 62' Savoy. FYI, this motor had been sold new to a farmer in Colfax Washington and was used as a PTO unit running on propane for pumping water.

As I say, when talking about Chrysler, I've learned long ago to never say never.

Attachments

• 413 Max Wedge Engine.pdf
    2.2 MB · Views: 97
Well, as it has been said about MOPAR's over the years, never say never. But the issue with clearance was created by the K member. I would be interested as to what K member is in your friends car. You can easily see where the motor mounts were located to see if it was early member or a later one.

This is the engine block that is my 62' Savoy. FYI, this motor had been sold new to a farmer in Colfax Washington and was used as a PTO unit running on propane for pumping water.

As I say, when talking about Chrysler, I've learned long ago to never say never.
1962Max, As far as I know, it's the original K. I'll try and get a flick of it or at least the cars engine compartment.

Maybe swap in a '63-'65 front K-frame with appropriate mounts.to lower the engine? I knew the '62 K-frame was different, because I had '62 Dart that I swapped a 383 into from a Poly. But, it is news to me that it changed the position of the engine, relative to to 63 and newer.
It all to do with a situation with the clearance on the under hood bracing that could come in conflict with the air cleaner lid. The problem was solved in typical MOPAR fashion. With a BFH or cutting torch, everything can be made to fit! The issue was that the engine torqued up and would pinch the air cleaner up against the hood bracing and that would interfere with the throttle linkage and the throttle could be locked open. It didn't happen all the time but the time that it did, the fix was to cut the under braces out of the hood.

But as anyone that knows anything about the MW cars, the only day that they were original was the day that the buyer picked the car up at the selling dealer. After that, it was game on. First thing that needed to be done was to get rid of those big o' cast iron headers. And then cut out the fender wheels. And throw those air cleaners away. And while were doing that, lets port out the intake. And the story goes on and on and on.

It all to do with a situation with the clearance on the under hood bracing that could come in conflict with the air cleaner lid. The problem was solved in typical MOPAR fashion. With a BFH or cutting torch, everything can be made to fit! The issue was that the engine torqued up and would pinch the air cleaner up against the hood bracing and that would interfere with the throttle linkage and the throttle could be locked open. It didn't happen all the time but the time that it did, the fix was to cut the under braces out of the hood.

But as anyone that knows anything about the MW cars, the only day that they were original was the day that the buyer picked the car up at the selling dealer. After that, it was game on. First thing that needed to be done was to get rid of those big o' cast iron headers. And then cut out the fender wheels. And throw those air cleaners away. And while were doing that, lets port out the intake. And the story goes on and on and on.
Here's my friends '62 Savoy Max Wedge engine compartment. Correct to the upmost.
The hood picture I don't believe is of his actual car, but his car has had the same hood with the cut outs as y'all see in the picture from the factory. He acquired the car from one of his best friends here in Brooklyn way back in '69 IIRC.

Chryslers special cars from the past sure do stir up interesting conversations and food fights over its erratic production schedules, actual procedures and parts, but like it was said here before, never say never.

131 engine dressed.jpg

1962 Plymouth MW hood A01.jpg

Not directly a part of this thread but thought it a good place to interject this. One good thing about the 62 Plymouth hood. That circular area in the center works perfect for a single carb on a high rise. I did this on my old 62. The 14" air cleaner cleared the hole, albeit to the passenger side a bit and forward. Cut the hole out and welded up the cut edges.

View attachment 1418284

Big difference between the Plymouth and Dodge...
SDC11455.JPG

20230309_162049.jpg

Auto Transport Service
Back