• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1962 Plymouth Savoy Police Pursuit Vehicle-Supposebly Texas Highway Patrol

Rolling Thunder

Local time
12:03 AM
Reaction score
Just picked this factory police car up from a buddy. Was out of Texas and originally a blue and white scheme but just recently painted the black and white. All lights and antennas are original except siren near grill. Is big block Commando 3spd column car with all the police items ie. sway bar, big brakes and sure-grip. Has its original spot light on door and used to have the red light on top but its gone now. Does anyone have info on these old cop cars? VIN is 39271416XX which shows the "9" for police...neat car. I think Im going to sand down and put back to original color scheme and look for remnants of decals under paint to replicate.

- - - Updated - - -

front view

cop car.jpg 62 hp car 001.jpg

Just speeding along & looking out your rear view mirror......this would scare the $hit out of me! .......and those big whips!....too cool!

I like it! 413/3 speed or 361 ???

Cool car! Several states have pretty good state police websites with a lot of vintage car pictures. I have found police car sales pamphlets for the early cars on ebay. Mine is a 64 Dodge 330 2dr sedan Tennessee Highway Patrol car. 383 3sp on column.

Nah, just needs a billboard or hedgerow to sit behind.

I had 5 of the 62 Plymouth 2 door sedan Mich. State HP cars many years ago. 361 cubes, tf tranny, 291 limited slip, big black 90 amp altteranor sitting on top of the motor on drivers side, and a huge voltage reg too. I could bury the "certifided speedometer" anytime I wanted to. It also had the big torsion bars and 3x11 brakes. I wish I had all 5 of them back today. Oh by the way, I make all the fiberglass body parts for the 62 Plymouth.

64 copcar, what colour was your 64 in Tennessee colours? My buddy has a 65 Belvy Hardtop that was originally out of Tennessee. It is a big block auto car and had some odd things done to it. It is KK1 Greenish blue and had a 5 inch or so white stripe down the sides at some point. Looked like it might have been a sheriffs car or a highway patrol car at some point.

64 Belvedere, It was regular THP colors, yellow and black.It had been painted THP yellow all over at some point. Been sitting for years yellow over the black is getting thin in spots. Have run across several old THP 2 door cars in last 20 yrs. One salvage yard south of Nashville bought around 50 retired cars in 1968. Fords ,Chevys,Pontiacs,Plymouths, & Dodges. Friend of mine was able to save a 66 Fury & a 67 Ford. Sadly yard owner started crushing stuff about 5 yrs back.

Got the old girl home yesterday and started taking some pics. Besides the cheap repaint shes fairly original. Needs floor patches...which are in it but not welded in but trunk and rest of car is beautiful condition, must have been from rubber mat floors. Found some cool things on this car. Glove box has some kind of tray built into it for equipment, has numerous switches on dash, has car number on inside of door and more cool stuff. Thought was blue orginally but found she was white with black scheme. There is blue underhood but think maybe was later scheme for department. Still wearing original early 15 inch wheels with caps too. Neat car.

Attachments

• photo 1 (1).jpg
    photo 1 (1).jpg
    79.3 KB · Views: 769
  • photo 1 (1)1.jpg
    photo 1 (1)1.jpg
    47.1 KB · Views: 770
  • photo 3 (1).jpg
    photo 3 (1).jpg
    36.3 KB · Views: 774
  • photo 1 (2)qw.jpg
    photo 1 (2)qw.jpg
    70 KB · Views: 770
  • photo 1 (2)q.jpg
    photo 1 (2)q.jpg
    53.5 KB · Views: 755
  • photo 1.jpg
    photo 1.jpg
    38.6 KB · Views: 718
  • photo 2 (1)1.jpg
    photo 2 (1)1.jpg
    59.2 KB · Views: 735
  • photo 2 (1)q.jpg
    photo 2 (1)q.jpg
    46.4 KB · Views: 771
  • photo 2 (1)rt.jpg
    photo 2 (1)rt.jpg
    74.2 KB · Views: 736
  • photo 2 (2)q.jpg
    photo 2 (2)q.jpg
    78.5 KB · Views: 743
  • photo 2ew.jpg
    photo 2ew.jpg
    49.8 KB · Views: 740
  • photo 2.jpg
    photo 2.jpg
    54.4 KB · Views: 718
  • photo 3 (2)1.jpg
    photo 3 (2)1.jpg
    61 KB · Views: 748
  • photo 3w.jpg
    photo 3w.jpg
    47.7 KB · Views: 727
  • photo 4 (1).jpg
    photo 4 (1).jpg
    76.9 KB · Views: 751
  • photo 4 (2)w.jpg
    photo 4 (2)w.jpg
    73.7 KB · Views: 770
  • photo 31.jpg
    photo 31.jpg
    63.6 KB · Views: 752
  • photo 21.jpg
    photo 21.jpg
    76 KB · Views: 716
Great looking car. It looks like a lot of the same equipment as on my 62 MSP car.

- - - Updated - - -

I had 5 of the 62 Plymouth 2 door sedan Mich. State HP cars many years ago. 361 cubes, tf tranny, 291 limited slip, big black 90 amp altteranor sitting on top of the motor on drivers side, and a huge voltage reg too. I could bury the "certifided speedometer" anytime I wanted to. It also had the big torsion bars and 3x11 brakes. I wish I had all 5 of them back today. Oh by the way, I make all the fiberglass body parts for the 62 Plymouth.

Glassman, any pics of your old MSP cars? I have a 62 MSP right now.

Newer pics

Today

Attachments

• photo 1.jpg
    photo 1.jpg
    63.6 KB · Views: 702
  • photo 2.jpg
    photo 2.jpg
    62.5 KB · Views: 648
  • photo 3.jpg
    photo 3.jpg
    77.5 KB · Views: 648
  • photo 4.jpg
    photo 4.jpg
    82.5 KB · Views: 972
Just picked this factory police car up from a buddy. Was out of Texas and originally a blue and white scheme but just recently painted the black and white. All lights and antennas are original except siren near grill. Is big block Commando 3spd column car with all the police items ie. sway bar, big brakes and sure-grip. Has its original spot light on door and used to have the red light on top but its gone now. Does anyone have info on these old cop cars? VIN is 39271416XX which shows the "9" for police...neat car. I think Im going to sand down and put back to original color scheme and look for remnants of decals under paint to replicate.

- - - Updated - - -

front view
I have info on the 62 Plymouth police cars. Were is your car today 301 937 4541 SMITTY

Auto Transport Service
Back