• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

FOR SALE 1963 426 Max Wedge

Status
Not open for further replies.

GR1P

Local time
3:08 AM
Reaction score
Contact seller
Selling a 1963 Super Stock II Max Wedge stage 2 engine thats been sitting in my uncles garage since the late 80s. 11.0:1 compression version.

He purchased this engine in the 60s as a low-mile takeout from a car whose owner was looking for better gas mileage. It spent the next 20 years mated to a Chevy transmission in a Devin kit car.

It had its cylinders honed and valves replaced before being sealed and put into storage. Still has stock bore.

Its missing the original carbs and valve covers. Its also been painted black/gray.

You can see in the pictures that the cross ram intake manifold carb openings have been bored. All hardware and pulleys are also included.

IMAG0418.jpg

IMAG0411.jpg

DSC_9556.jpg

IMAG0414.jpg

DSC_9549.jpg

DSC_9553.jpg

Asking $8000

I'm looking for a cash only local sale and I'm definately willing to negotiate. If interested, please come and inspect in person.

Located in Fountain Valley, ca (Orange County)

That is an alum. intake!

Hi Steve,
I thought the 63 was magnesium.
Help me out here...
You say it was aluminum?

I know the first hemis (426) had magnesium.

Sorry if I'm wrong...

- - - Updated - - -

Steve is correct,
Aluminum

moparsteve636...thanks!
mark

( I researched it and found this...)
((My 63 Clone Maxie from A&A is Aluminum, A&A does offer a Magnesium cross ram for the Hemi)

"The primary reason for the switch from aluminum to magnesium in 1965 was to loose as much as ten plus pounds of weight over the aluminum 1964 casting. Just like the 1964 aluminum intake the magnesium intake uses the same carb adapter plates and mounting hole plugs.
The magnesium intake used in 1965 was also used on the 1968 Race Hemis that were put in the BO29 Barracudas and LO23 Darts. The magnesium intake continued to be offered by Chrysler through their performance parts catalogs into the 1980s before it was discontinued. As a result of the later sales it's easier to find original magnesium intakes compared to the one year only aluminum version used in 1964. In spite of the higher number of magnesium intakes being available compared to the aluminum version the magnesium version brings a higher price in the used market, mainly because of the notable weight savings. "

I'm glad you guys got it figured out :icon_rolleyes:

Now come buy this thing.

I'm sure it would help your sale if you posted a picture of the casting date & ID pad also.

I'm sure it would help your sale if you posted a picture of the casting date & ID pad also.

Serious buyers can come inspect the motor in person and verify all numbers before buying. It's a 45 min drive from me and it's half buried in my uncle's garage.

And honestly I have no idea where the date and ID pad are.

Im not willing to ship this to a buyer sight unseen anyway.

It's hard to be a serious buyer without the id pad being seen before hand...what makes you say it's a stage II ?
ID pad is behind the thermostat housing.The casting date is below the casting number.

Update.
This is not a MW oil pan (high dollar item).Hence the need to see the id pad.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    44.7 KB · Views: 1,350
It's hard to be a serious buyer without the id pad being seen before hand...what makes you say it's a stage II ?
ID pad is behind the thermostat housing.The casting date is below the casting number.

When the motor was all original it had a decal on each valve cover reading "426 Super Stock II".

The fact that it's a 426 and not a 413 means its a 63+ ----> meaning it's either stage 1 or 2. (The 413 was not a stage 1)

Next time I'm over by the motor, Ill grab a couple shots of the numbers now that i know what to look for.

This is what it is supposed to look like.
This is mine, awaiting the 1963 Body to be finished.

Attachments

• P1010019.jpg
    P1010019.jpg
    69.7 KB · Views: 1,299
Gotcha, Ill find out about the oil pan.

- - - Updated - - -

This is what it is supposed to look like.
This is mine, awaiting the 1963 Body to be finished.

Well done sir.

If my motor looked like that I'd be asking $15k+

Update with pictures of the ID pad and casting date.

The ID pad is consistent with a max wedge. The early casting date leads me to think that this might be a 63 stage 1 motor.

Maybe someone could help identify this.

casting number:
IMAG0587.jpg

casting date: hard to read because of the black paint but it says 10-2-62
IMAG0593.jpg

ID pad in 2 different lights:
IMAG0583.jpg

IMAG0585.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

Also here's a better top down shot of the manifold

IMAG0592.jpg

So the ID pad reads

426 = displacement
T = 1963
MP = Maximum Performance
1= January
17= 17th day
04= the 4th engine assembled that day

So yes stage 1.

Yes that's the info that is important.:headbang: and yes the above info is correct.
The machining of the intake openings is very common to see as it seems most did that.It does reduce its value somewhat :(
Delving deeper into the engine would also tell more of the story.

Good luck
Thanks for the pics

Had a buyer from vegas fall through.

Still for sale

Status
Not open for further replies.
Auto Transport Service
Back