• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1963 dodge Polara "Max Wedge" clone update:

super-bee_ski

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
5:54 AM
Reaction score
So,
05 July 2013 I went to (PXXXX) Auto-body in Calif-City CA to "pull out" my 63 Polara.
(I'm hiding the name)

I was "advised" by some concerning citizens that the "doors may be padlocked" and for me to pull the 63 out before I have more legal troubles.

I have paid the shop $5,300 AND to sweeten the deal to get them to finish the car, another $1,200 for the paint.

So, 4 years and 9 months later AND $6,500 THIS is what I have.

I called a media blast shop in Palmdale CA, they said $800 for a complete media strip.
(wish I had Donny as a neighbor)

I brought the car to another shop the very same day.
This is the pic of one of the "techs" standing by the car.
He told me the work performed is terrible.

Im not looking for sympathy, I'm at fault for believing a bad business person. Now I start the first step: Calif small claims court.

NOTE:
Pic 1 is at the "new-shop"
That is NOT me, but a friend of mine.
Pics:

Attachments

• photo.JPG
    photo.JPG
    106.9 KB · Views: 446
  • photo.JPG
    photo.JPG
    113.5 KB · Views: 392
  • photo.jpg
    photo.jpg
    56.1 KB · Views: 395
  • photo.jpg
    photo.jpg
    39.2 KB · Views: 386
Last edited:
Almost 5 yrs and that's all they did. How bad did the "other" shop mess it up? Or did they not do all the work they said they were going to do?

Almost 5 yrs and that's all they did. How bad did the "other" shop mess it up? Or did they not do all the work they said they were going to do?

Yeah,
The pics you see are at the "new-shop"
Nick is evaluating the car.
This is when i brought it to the new shop right after I pulled it out from the "old shop"

I'm sorry you have to go thru this type crap... Unscrupulous body-shop & paint or bad business people, this type stuff especially "just pisses me off"... Way too many times you hear these type stories about cars not being done correctly or just put on the back burner, never completed at all, because the money you've already paid them, is already spent & long gone, with no incentive to finish the job... Fabrication shops are notorious for that type stuff too... Big time procrastination or just flat out crooks... Along with your written estimate... Always get a written performance contract/agreement, with a substantial monetary penalty clauses/discounts for not finishing on time, for every day it's late, it helps... I hope you learned your lesson & have a much better experience with the new shop... But still get a thorough written estimate, then a binding written contract, like I mentioned above... if they wont do it, then go somewhere where they will, you will be much happier to deal with a reputable & honest, hard working, quality body/paint shop & good honest business person...

- - - Updated - - -

What work did the old shop even do ??, after 5 years, I don't see too much of anything done at all... I'd be pissed as hell, probably or most likely 4 or so years ago too... sorry I couldn't resist... no sympathy right ??...LOL... good luck, I wish you the best with your 63

- - - Updated - - -

Pops always said.... "if a deal seems to good to be true, it no doubt, probably is too good to be true"... Unfortunately we hear these types of nightmares, in our hobby, way too damn often...

- - - Updated - - -

good luck in Small Claims Court

What is it with these shops ripping off people,Dont feel bad it happens here in Canada also.The only difference we have stick gun laws,(LOL).I try and do my own work has much as possible,even if i have to do it twice,no one to blame but myself,at least some creep dosent have my money,hope things get better for you Budnicks
Paul

What is it with these shops ripping off people,Dont feel bad it happens here in Canada also.The only difference we have stick gun laws,(LOL).I try and do my own work has much as possible,even if i have to do it twice,no one to blame but myself,at least some creep dosent have my money,hope things get better for you Budnicks
Paul

Thanks... All is well with me... I was just commenting on Super_Bee_Ski's near 5 year predicament.............. I too, "always" do all my own work, except tire mounting & balancing, alignments & engine or specific machine work, I don't have the proper tools... I'm my worst critic too, I always complain about the guy doing the work...LOL...

Auto Transport Service
Back