• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1963 Fury 4 speed conversion

MIKESPOLARA

Local time
11:11 AM
Reaction score
I'm still just thinking about converting my 63 max clone to 4 speed. Question; I have read that 62-65 B body pedals interchange, true? Also how hard is it to find bell housing, flywheel

Yes, the pedals interchange 1962-1965. Best place to find them is basic slant 6, 3-on-the-tree car. If you keep the unique ball and trunion u-joint driveshaft, you will need a 1964 or 1965 4-speed. 1966 and up 4-speed used a slip joint. Transmission crossmember and mount is different for 4-speed. I don't know if you are trying to do a conversion that is "correct" with 1963 parts, or whether you are doing a conversion that is serviceable with other year parts. Although 1963 Plymouths were available with a 4-speed, it was a BW T-10, that Chrysler did not figure was sturdy enough for a Maxie. The A-833 Chrysler 4-speed became available in 1964 Maxie cars. A slip joint drive shaft from an automatic 1965 Belvedere will be needed with newer transmission. I think these cars came with a steel bellhousing and flywheel meant for use with a 11" clutch. These could be hard to source. An alternative could be the 10 1/2" pieces from newer big blocks. As weird as it sounds, a 10.95" clutch can be bolted to the 10 1/2" flywheel. Brewers in Ohio can supply knowledge and parts for this conversion. Wayne and Dan know their $hit and are good to deal with.

Careful of the bell housing. I swapped a '66 383 4 speed motor into a '64 Dodge 50 years ago. I had to fabricate my own Z-Bar pivot bracket on the bell. The other thing is to be careful, also, of the 3 gear shift. The ash tray will eat your knuckles!

I would like A833, and whatever brand new parts to make it a 4 speed. Aluminum bellhousing. Do not care about anything having to be "original", it's a non original car.
My ideal situation would be to drop it off at a good shop and pick it up a few weeks later driving with a 4 speed.
I had considered the new 5-6 speeds but since my rear gear with tire size is ok with the 1-1 trans now then doing the 4 speed will be same driving on freeway.
I think the pedals are the main thing not available as new

Careful of the bell housing. I swapped a '66 383 4 speed motor into a '64 Dodge 50 years ago. I had to fabricate my own Z-Bar pivot bracket on the bell. The other thing is to be careful, also, of the 3 gear shift. The ash tray will eat your knuckles!
I never thought of that. This is because of the engine, etc. sits about 1 1/2" inch ahead on the K member on pre-'66 than on post-'66.

I would like A833, and whatever brand new parts to make it a 4 speed. Aluminum bellhousing. Do not care about anything having to be "original", it's a non original car.
My ideal situation would be to drop it off at a good shop and pick it up a few weeks later driving with a 4 speed.
I had considered the new 5-6 speeds but since my rear gear with tire size is ok with the 1-1 trans now then doing the 4 speed will be same driving on freeway.
I think the pedals are the main thing not available as new
Post a WTB ad on here. Some one could be parting out a car that has the pedals you need. A friend of mine bought a 1962 Dart Maxie clone that had a slip joint A833 in it with a Dana 60 in it, so it has been done.

P9120053.JPG

P9120055.JPG

Norms has great parts, and you can find the pedals cheaper, you just need to gather the rest of the parts.
I sourced everything separately and saved a few hundred dollars, but I also restored mine myself.
His steering columns are perfect as well and worth the $.

I recently bought a '64 with a manual and it has the extra bracket, the one I did not need for my '62.

'64 requires the extra bracket, as well as the pedal assembly with the top piece that turns down, so the bracket can be mounted on it.

'62-63 do not need the extra bracket, so it does not matter whether the pedal assembly has the top piece that turns down or turns up.

So, you could buy any pedal assembly from a '62-63 or a '64-65.

Mikespolara: I can't help you with the pedal assembly but I recently converted my 63 Fury to a 5 Speed, so I have the following available for sale: Lakewood scattershield with bolts and block saver plate, American Powertrain hydraulic T/O bearing assembly less master cylinder & hose, 1964 A833 transmission that was NOS when I got it and now has about 10K miles on it, Hurst Competition Plus 4 speed linkage for a bench seat w/ boot, correct crossmember, & ball & trunion driveshaft. I also have a CenterForce 12lb. aluminum flywheel that needs a replacement facing ($130.00 +shipping from CenterForce in Arizona).
The transmission is in excellent condition; shifts great and no noise or problems. I switched to a 5 speed because I have pretty low gears and want to do more longer distance cruises. I haven't gotten around to cleaning everything up and pictures but would be happy to take some and/or answer any questions you might have.

DSCN0209.JPG

Mikespolara: I can't help you with the pedal assembly but I recently converted my 63 Fury to a 5 Speed, so I have the following available for sale: Lakewood scattershield with bolts and block saver plate, American Powertrain hydraulic T/O bearing assembly less master cylinder & hose, 1964 A833 transmission that was NOS when I got it and now has about 10K miles on it, Hurst Competition Plus 4 speed linkage for a bench seat w/ boot, correct crossmember, & ball & trunion driveshaft. I also have a CenterForce 12lb. aluminum flywheel that needs a replacement facing ($130.00 +shipping from CenterForce in Arizona).
The transmission is in excellent condition; shifts great and no noise or problems. I switched to a 5 speed because I have pretty low gears and want to do more longer distance cruises. I haven't gotten around to cleaning everything up and pictures but would be happy to take some and/or answer any questions you might have.

View attachment 1464169

View attachment 1464169
I might be interested. I am looking for a setup for a 63 Plymouth. Let me know how to reach you.

Auto Transport Service
Back