• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1963 Plymouth fury 4 door max wedge

We have a 1963 Plymouth fury 4 door. The fender plate indicates it is a max wedge car. The brake lines are ran as such and the hood supports are cut. The fender plate has 92 below the AB. We’ve been told it is 1 of 2 produced. Anyone have any other information on this. Thanks
Is this the black 4 Spd car?

Fury, and it was mine and not out of a junk yard and it was tan. Trunk mounted Battery in mine.

I visited the original owner (Ishmeal Dew) (Barnwell SC or NC) of the 63 Fury after I bought it from a broker (Chip Gerst).
I did a total resto on it and one best of show at Englishtown in 91 or 92. I still have the jacket they gave for the win. I also won the next year with my A12 RR still have the jacket also.
MCG came to my house and did an extensive 6 or so page article on it. I'll get the mag out and post it.
It was featured at Carlisle in 1992 in the main building.
Ish gave me the window sticker, BOS and several trophies he won locally.
I'll put together a story of how I acquired it.
stay tuned.
Thanks I have that MCG somewhere in my boxes.

Learn something new all the time!! Just wish I could remember learning it!

I just today found the magazine. I'll work on the story soon.
Working on the story. Found 4 magazines it was in. Probably there were others but I did find 4 so far.
It will be a long story with lots of pictures.

Now maybe people will stop laughing at my 64 more door 318 poly Bel!!!! Or maybe not.

Four door MW that is just plain COOL!
My first car had a poly teen. I know they can be made to run but so can many other 'not so popular' engines like the /6. Thing is, it's so much cheaper and easier to make an LA teen run for much cheaper. Parts for the poly ain't cheap but the /6 stuff used to be but have no idea about now though. Any engine can be made to run hard involves breathing and staying together. I guess what I'm trying to say is....I dunno lol. The 'A' engine fan base is pretty small compared to the 'LA' series and B RB series. My favorite engine is the 400 B. Been a fan of 'over square' engines for a long time now.

Do we know what happened to the 4 door Maxie car?? It's marked sold..... a member get it?? Or not an actual sale?? Just curious...pretty cool thing to keep tabs on if we can.

Working on the story. Found 4 magazines it was in. Probably there were others but I did find 4 so far.
It will be a long story with lots of pictures.
Enter Hemmings Motor news October 1990.
Ad under Plymouth for sale! 1963 Fury 426 Max Wedge Fury 4 door sedan.
I was in the Mopar Business with a full tilt resto shop for Mopars, later we did other muscle restos.
I had bought and sold 3 Max wedge real cars by then and pretty much knew what to look for for a real Max Wedge car.
Made the call and arranged to go take a look.
It was in a old building without much light. Near Phili. Pa.
Opened the hood and knew in a few minutes it was real.
Every thing as original including the fender tag. (no engine)
Broker told me the original owner was deceased and he had got it from the estate.
Made the deal and took it back to the shop. I do not remember what I paid for it.
Owners manual was in the glove box with the owners name written in it.
So I called directory assistance and ask for the number of Ishmeal Dew in Barnwell Sc.
She gave me the number and I called.
Man answered and I said are you Ishmeal yes thats me. So the Broker lied.
I want to ask you about the 63 Fury you had owned.
He said which one............ WHAT?
I said the max wedge. I just purchased it and am going to restore it. WOW he said. I'd love to see when it's done, I have some things that go to it. Awesome what do you have. Original window sticker bill of sale and some original parts and lots of trophies.
Can I come and visit you..............Sure come on down.
Made the trip as part of a vacation with my wife. We arrive and were welcomed by him and his wife (Connie).
Give us your bags and come on in, We have reservations at a local motel. They said cancel them your staying here.
We went in and were greeted with a big dinner. After, we were taken into a spare bedroom that was filled to the rafters with trophies plaques posters and news paper articles all from his racing days with the 63.
He gave us the bill of sale build sheet and window sticker and plaques and trophy's + a bunch of original parts from a shed out back.
I have to ask When you said which one. What did you mean?
Well! Connie said I could buy a race car but it had to be a 4 door for her to use (kids and groceries) sounds fair.
So I go to the dealership (Folks auto and electric).
Placed the order with the dealer and they got a call from Chrysler that they will not be able to build a 4 dor Max Wedge.
About 6 weeks later I got a call from the dealer they said come on down your car is in.
Apparently Plymouth did not get the same letter the dealer did.
A few weeks later I am back at the dealer buying another 63 Fury this time a 318. Wasn't long until Connie determined this was not a grocery getter. Hence the two 63 Furys.
Restoration completed around May of 91.
I get a call from Williston SC. Woman on the other end. Is this the man who bought Ishes car. Yes it is...well I have the engine from it. I need to sell it and need the money. My husband (some how) has it and he is in jail and I am selling his stuff.
OKAY!!!! Can you send me some #s off the engine.
Turns out it was legit and it arrived a week or so later.
Restoration complete and many shows and trophy's leter.
I sold it to man around 1996 From Ny. and only saw it one time after that at The Hershey show.

IMG_2320.JPG

IMG_2321.JPG

IMG_2325.JPG

IMG_2326.JPG

IMG_2327.JPG

IMG_2329.JPG

IMG_2333.JPG

IMG_2334.JPG

IMG_2324.JPG

Awesome!!!!

Back about early to mid 90s I made a trip back to my home state of Ga. I bought a bunch of parts from a guy in Albany a complete max wedge motor amongst it all. On way back to Mo. I stopped at a Mopar show in S.C. and sold the engine to a dentist that had a 63 Dart. His bud had a 63 Dart vert I think he had put a MW in it. He had me deliver it to his office and I brought it right in on dolly and put it in one of is dental rooms. Seemed his receptionist was not surprised!

Great story.
Turns out it was legit and it arrived a week or so later.
How were you able to determine the engine was original to the car?

Do you know the history of the car and engine taking different paths, did Ishmeal split them up or a subsequent owner?

I know the typical story is the engine blew up, pulled, sold separately.
Just curious.

There are a lot of #s on an engine to tell what it is.
It was in great condition and I sold it at Carlisle. The guy I sold the car to did not want the engine.
I had it at my space and the guy who wanted it brought Galen along with him to verify it.... I knew more than Galen but the guy wanted Galen's approval.

The guy I sold the car to did not want the engine.
If I'm understanding this correctly, if the new owner of the 4 door max did not want the engine he is an ultramaroon.

Auto Transport Service
Back