• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1963 Super Stock Max Wedge....

Sounds like you need a small car radiator with an electric fan to cool it. Mount in trunk with a duct to pull and vent outside air?

Sounds like you need a small car radiator with an electric fan to cool it. Mount in trunk with a duct to pull and vent outside air?
Actually I'm thinking that for oil tank and cooler. Engine has dry sump oiling. The Cuda was originally a 4-speed car. The Cuda's history is even more bizarre. Someone from the early 70s attempted to take on the Dick Landy's and the Ronnie Sox of the day in the Pro Stock. And heavily modified a 70 V-code Cuda to attempt. 900 HP hemi with crashboxed A833 4-speed. Failed at attempt. (Which many did against those boys) Sold motor and trans by 1980. Car has been rolling body since. I bought seeing building back to stock would be alot more work? I began a Pro Street build. Then the market on E-bodies EXPLODED. So once again? Wrong decision. But original 440-6 and trans long gone. I attempted to trace? But deadends.

The 904 is sitting on their front plate mount off the K-frame. Setback about 7". What my inquiries did learn was the shop back in the day spent alot of time sweat and tears on motor placement. And with the Dana's 4 link leaf rear-end setup (top of the line in 72. Obsolete with today's narrowed 4-link coil overs) But my setup is right where they left off. I learned the car managed mid 9s. But the big boys were then nipping into the 8s by then. Thus they surrendered their dream of glory. That shop and car sales lot long gone.

Last edited:
Could it be brought back to stock, would anyone buy it as is? Would you get enough money to buy something that would be an upgrade ?

Could it be brought back to stock, would anyone buy it as is? Would you get enough money to buy something that would be an upgrade ?
Like I said. HEAVILY modified. The front crowl still has its production number stamped. And matches door tag and title. Windshield VIN and fender tag gone. But other than that? Its cut up pretty bad for a new start. (Again not my doing. Im just following the race path for a Pro Street build) I paid $8k for the car as this rolling body.

Its stunning that prices have surged enough to even consider. But in my opinion? Just too modified. Engine bay, cab, truck area. Its too bad it was a V-code Cuda and not a plain Jane Barracuda. But they didn't know either of the future?

I did manage to talk with the bother of the guy. A mean old fart that started "That car is still around? I'm so sick of that car!" I explained that I had it for 10 years. Bought it from a guy who had it 10 years. And neither of us ever talked to you. So its been at least 20 years sence? He settled down enough to tell be what he knew. (After having to listen how his brother ran the car business into the ground. Lol)

So thats pretty much. "A Cuda's tale" story. No spectacular track or highstar history. The guy said he believed in 73 the car was a backup to a team drove by "Billy the kid?" at the Gator Nationals? But that may have been a false memory. I found no evidence.

My hopes is that the "A Cuda Tale" ending has yet to be wrote? I'm in my 50s now. Dream of a year long tour to small local tracks on a hustler mission. The car will look like a nice street car. But with something VERY sinister under the hood. The advantage with this setup is that this 904 was poured at the foundry to be 1200 HP stock. Low RPM. Even with open exhaust it doesn't sound like a heavily cammed race motor. Its power is due to sheer size and design..

Just hope Covid didn't kill off too many tracks?

P.S. Sorry for babbling so much on SS Wedge thread? This type of car I may consider trade in future? When I'm at my "Show off my stuff at the shows phase" But today? Im still in the "Its just needs more power!" My 10 sec Duster or Street GTX don't scare me. This thing I bet scares the bejesus out of me? If the car can take it? My Chevy friends just laugh and say. "That Cuda is going to snap in half! If not? Flip if you ever got it to hook?" As Arnie would say? "They're Shitters!"

Last edited:
So thats pretty much. "A Cuda's tale" story. No spectacular track or highstar history. The guy said he believed in 73 the car was a backup to a team drove by "Billy the kid?" at the Gator Nationals? But that may have been a false memory. I found no evidence.
Billy the Kid was the name of Bill Stepp pro stock race cars of Dayton , Ohio , race the pro stock circuit back late 60's early 70's. All his cars was Cuda's

Billy the Kid was the name of Bill Stepp pro stock race cars of Dayton , Ohio , race the pro stock circuit back late 60's early 70's. All his cars was Cuda's
I have looked at Stepp's program to see if there was any published connection? I found none. It certainly doesn't mean there wasn't an informal connection to a small team from Wisconsin? (They were certainly more informal back in the day.) Just no documentation or even photo. Are you more familiar with "Billy the Kid" racing team in the early 70s? Please feel free to forward any information?

Last edited:
Thats Ed Cooks 63 Plymouth as he runs in the FAST class and it is fast. I saw him run 10.30's. They can do any mods they like in the eng but it has to sound sorta stock and has to look stock as they have to use factory intake and exh manifolds. Its a very good running car as all his Mopars are. Ron

Al I run the Savoy in FAST. Unfortunately it's not FAST enough! But I will not give up. I am building a new pure stocker which should be out in the spring.

Ron Hope all is well have not seen you or your car in a while. Plan to be out more this year.

Ed

64.JPG

I have to admit I wasn't the biggest fan of the early/mid 60s body lines of any of the big 3's production lines. But those Max Wedge 413/426 engines are just badass. And like the 3rd generation Charger and Plymouth B-bodies? (71-74) I'm warming FAST. The '64 Savoy lightweight with the race 426 hemi I would look to pay big money. A little known fact about Minnesotains? Vegas calls us "Minnesota Cheap" Im afraid there is some truth to that analogy. But that particular Plymouth? Something is getting sold!

i love those lines too . both 63's will be running max wedge packages , one auto , one stick = fun fun fun lol

Fury.png DCP01160.JPG DSC09730.JPG thumbnail.jpg

Thought Ed ran in pure stock????

Not with that 63. Its the FAST class with the 63. 10.30's would be faster then anything ever ran in Pure Stock. But his family has other cars including two I believe 69-1/2 A12 Roadrunners and they may have run one or both of them in Pure Stock. Ron

Guess I'm a cheater :D
Screenshot_20201019-155125~2.png

Screenshot_20201228-220648~2.png

REALLY want one of those 904 hemi's one day. I'll build a car around one. Is the company still around if I wanted them to build me one in 10 years?

Auto Transport Service
Back