• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1964 A904 Kickdown Shaft Seal

RWA

Local time
7:40 PM
Reaction score
I have a 65 Coronet 500 with a L6 225/A904 drive train that's apparently from a 64.

This '64 A904 transmission uses a cable shift and only has a 3/8" or so vertical shaft sticking out for the throttle linkage, whereas later versions seem to have the shifter linkage and kickdown on concentric shafts. The later versions use a Timkin or National 8609 seal, but this transmission only has a 3/8" or so vertical shaft sticking out for the throttle linkage.

Does anyone know a part number for the seal on these early A904s? My Google-Fu has failed me after hours of searching and the local parts store is also stumped.

Also, in searching for the seal, some sources suggest that when fluid suddenly starts leaking from the kickdown shaft seal, a leaking torque converter seal could be allowing too much fluid to drain back. I hate to try replacing the kickdown shaft seal in-place if I'm going to have to drop the transmission anyway.

Thanks,
Bob

trans # 2464429

Bob,
I'm pretty sure that seal is the same one used in the later models (727 & 904) where the same shaft comes thru the gear selector assembly.
Mike

I got one a couple of years ago from A&A Transmissions, Camby, In. 317-831-3066 aandatrans.com

Kickdown shaft seal for 64 727 tf Napa 1-3308. maybe 904 is the same?

Kickdown shaft seal for 64 727 tf Napa 1-3308. maybe 904 is the same?

Thank you! That part number is still valid at NAPA. It's apparently the same as used on the later models, without the larger seal for the concentric shifter shaft because it has a cable shift.

I popped the seal out yesterday and found that the shaft diameter is .310 and the OD of the all-rubber seal is about 5/8". The NAPA 13308 has an ID of .30" and an OD of .686" so that should be the one.

I appreciate everyone's help.

Bob

Last edited:
Thank you! That part number is still valid at NAPA. It's apparently the same as used on the later models, without the larger seal for the concentric shifter shaft because it has a cable shift.

I popped the seal out yesterday and found that the shaft diameter is .310 and the OD of the all-rubber seal is about 5/8". The NAPA 13308 has an ID of .30" and an OD of .686" so that should be the one.

I appreciate everyone's help.

Bob
Bob,
Do you want me to send you one? PM me.
Mike

Mike,

That's a kind and generous offer but I can grab one from the local NAPA. Thank you.

Bob

Does anyone know the smaller down shift shaft seal part number?

7C624961-F421-495B-9980-841326F48512.jpeg

The early case seal is the same seal used in the late valve body below the E clip. If you can't find one let me know
Doug

I have a 65 Coronet 500 with a L6 225/A904 drive train that's apparently from a 64.

This '64 A904 transmission uses a cable shift and only has a 3/8" or so vertical shaft sticking out for the throttle linkage, whereas later versions seem to have the shifter linkage and kickdown on concentric shafts. The later versions use a Timkin or National 8609 seal, but this transmission only has a 3/8" or so vertical shaft sticking out for the throttle linkage.

Does anyone know a part number for the seal on these early A904s? My Google-Fu has failed me after hours of searching and the local parts store is also stumped.

Also, in searching for the seal, some sources suggest that when fluid suddenly starts leaking from the kickdown shaft seal, a leaking torque converter seal could be allowing too much fluid to drain back. I hate to try replacing the kickdown shaft seal in-place if I'm going to have to drop the transmission anyway.

Thanks,
Bob

trans # 2464429

The current NAPA number is ATP 13308. Same from '62 to the end of 727/904 production.

Auto Transport Service
Back