• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Shift shaft seal

mmartoi

Local time
7:02 AM
Reaction score
The seal is leaking on the transmission from the shift shaft seal. Where can I find a shift shaft to replace with the seal. Transmission shop says sometimes that will be wore out.
Thank for any help.

The seal is leaking on the transmission from the shift shaft seal. Where can I find a shift shaft to replace with the seal. Transmission shop says sometimes that will be wore out.
Thank for any help.
Stay away from that shop. Replace the seals first.

And don't assume they know WTF they are talking about... I agree the shift shaft seals do leak, but once that's replaced and it still leaks it won't be the same leak, or the shift shaft itself (which is part of the valve body, it'll be the fill tube seal or the band anchor pin seal.... Or....

Mine on the Swinger was pretty pitted, but it doesn't leak anymore after replacing the seal. Why pay a trans shop to do this...
1969darttransmissionseals 032.jpg
1969darttransmissionsealsexhaust 005.JPG
1969darttransmissionsealsexhaust 013.JPG
1969darttransmissionsealsexhaust 025.JPG
1969darttransmissionsealsexhaust 027.JPG
1969darttransmissionsealsexhaust 029.JPG

Or drop the valve body, adjust the bands, change the filter and fluid, and replace the seal/seals. I use a 1/2" cap screw with 2 flat washers and a nut to draw the new seal squarely into the case recess. The throttle pressure shaft seal can easily be changed, shaft cleaned up/polished or replaced as necessary. I often find "the long way is really the best way" to proceed with a project.
Mike

I'd drop the valve body. Then pull the rooster comb and the throttle valve sahfts and wire wheel them. Also clean the inside of the rooster comb wheel the throttle valve seal sets. Never had one worn out. Never had one leak if everything was clean. I do this on every TF I build. Probably 30 over the last few years.
Doug

Or drop the valve body, adjust the bands, change the filter and fluid, and replace the seal/seals. I use a 1/2" cap screw with 2 flat washers and a nut to draw the new seal squarely into the case recess. The throttle pressure shaft seal can easily be changed, shaft cleaned up/polished or replaced as necessary. I often find "the long way is really the best way" to proceed with a project.
Mike
This is how I do them
After 25 years as a trans tech. To me its just easier this way instead of fitting everything in the car

Auto Transport Service
Back