• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1964 Dodge 440

Richard Smibert

Local time
3:17 AM
Reaction score
I am taking a poly 318 CI our of my Dodge 440 car and replacing it with a 440 CI. I need help with a replacement radiator for this project. I would like to go with an aluminum radiator with and electric fan. I have contacted Champion and they suggest a 22" replacement. Does anyone have any other suggestions on what i should be installing? The original radiator is 22" wide also. I want to make sure everything stays cool in all conditions.

I am taking a poly 318 CI our of my Dodge 440 car and replacing it with a 440 CI. I need help with a replacement radiator for this project. I would like to go with an aluminum radiator with and electric fan. I have contacted Champion and they suggest a 22" replacement. Does anyone have any other suggestions on what i should be installing? The original radiator is 22" wide also. I want to make sure everything stays cool in all conditions.
---
My suggestion is that if you are going to be street driving this car to just stay with a clutch fan. My 64, I ran a clutch fan, with no temperature issues. I switched to a 2500CFM electric fan and I couldn't keep it under 200- 210 temp. Switched back to the clutch fan, 180 all day long. I was running a be cool aluminum rad as well.

Aluminum rad, home made shroud.
IMG_2541.JPG

Last edited:
my thoughts also, the 22' will work with a good belt driven fan and a good shroud. Shroud is very much needed and fan placement in it is important.

Last edited:
Yeah, Copper works great!
Aluminum for your application is over kill, in my opinion.
Pricey also.
I have a Hemi Car, 70 "B-body" with original radiator re-dome of course, I live in a desert, works fine.
Some good aftermarket Aluminum Radiators out there now.
Unless Copper is hard to get in London, then go Aluminum.

Having gone through the hell of getting a 440 to run acceptably cool, my two cents is to check out Griffin.
Extremely well made in the USA (a lot of aluminum radiators are Chinese) and fit exactly.
Factory shrouds fit fine and along with a fan of your choice, you'll be all set.

Auto Transport Service
Back