• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Aluminum radiators and the elusive 1963 dodge 330, 440 and Polara....

super-bee_ski

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
3:38 PM
Reaction score
Well,
Not one to Cherry Pick...as I know how to research through old threads etc.
But, I have looked at numerous aftermarket Aluminum radiator companies.
A few do not list anything for the 63 Dodge B-body.
Can not open menu as the database does not show anything for a 1963 dodge.
So: anm i to assume the Plymouth is a viable alternative...YES, I would assume
OR:
Are we supposed to use a 1962 Dodge or a 1964 Dodge?
Just another crazy observation....And yes, Khryslerkid's 1962 Aluminum is a sweet set up!

For what I can tell @MIKESPOLARA summed it up. I believe my old '62 had a '65 radiator in it when I first bought it.

A lot of aftermarket manufacturers and vendors don't have enough info on the '62s and '63s to know what fits what. I went through numerous searches when looking for parts. Some you might not be sure, some you can tell they are the same. They're loosing a lot of business not knowing certain parts will work.

If you're really questioning it, call Bob S, at Glen-ray. He's One of the Nicest, Most Helpful Guys, in This Field. Whether you go with Their Products, or not, He'll give you the Right Info. Mention me, that I sent you his way. He Also Loves to see these Cars out there !!!
1226191356.jpg

AutoCity Classic has a nice alum radiator except it doesn't fit. I ended up buying a US Radiator through Classic Industries, it was perfect although more expensive. I won't buy any with the welded tanks only the stamped stock looking tanks for me. I will say AutoCity did refund me

For what I can tell @MIKESPOLARA summed it up. I believe my old '62 had a '65 radiator in it when I first bought it.

A lot of aftermarket manufacturers and vendors don't have enough info on the '62s and '63s to know what fits what. I went through numerous searches when looking for parts. Some you might not be sure, some you can tell they are the same. They're loosing a lot of business not knowing certain parts will work.
Thanks Kid...I'm going the direction you took.....

If you're really questioning it, call Bob S, at Glen-ray. He's One of the Nicest, Most Helpful Guys, in This Field. Whether you go with Their Products, or not, He'll give you the Right Info. Mention me, that I sent you his way. He Also Loves to see these Cars out there !!!
View attachment 1521087
Thank you VANDAN!!!
Will do Bud! :thumbsup:

Well,
OR:
Just another crazy observation....And yes, Khryslerkid's 1962 Aluminum is a sweet set up!
I just bought a KKS aluminum radiator off of E-Bay. (part number #KKS6265) it's supposed to fit 62 to 65 B-Bodies, hence the 62-65 part number. Still waiting for delivery from Kalifornication. ($219.00) You can google the part number and it will take you to E-Bay.
NO shroud available (of course) Zzzzzz.

I just bought a KKS aluminum radiator off of E-Bay. (part number #KKS6265) it's supposed to fit 62 to 65 B-Bodies, hence the 62-65 part number. Still waiting for delivery from Kalifornication. ($219.00) You can google the part number and it will take you to E-Bay.
iI looked at the ad. Hopefully the brackets are correct. The trouble with the autocity was the brackets sat too far to the rear by 1.25" The brackets need to be forward of the front of the core by about 1/2". The one thing I do see in the pic is the rad cap is sitting too high, hope you can get it low enough for the hood to clear. The orig radiator drops the fill neck down. That was the final thing for me to give up trying to make it fit.

iI looked at the ad. Hopefully the brackets are correct. The trouble with the autocity was the brackets sat too far to the rear by 1.25" The brackets need to be forward of the front of the core by about 1/2". The one thing I do see in the pic is the rad cap is sitting too high, hope you can get it low enough for the hood to clear. The orig radiator drops the fill neck down. That was the final thing for me to give up trying to make it fit.
Oh crap...the cap! Arrrrgh.

Don't know until you fit it in the car. The original radiator has a drop down area where the fill neck sits. The US radiator also does that. The one from ACC was about an inch high, if I dropped the radiator down enough to close hood there was no way I could get the lower radiator hose to fit since it put it right against the oil filter.
Be careful to check this out first just in case you need to return it.

Well,
OR:
I put an aluminum radiator in my 63 Dodge but it wasn't looking as original if that's what you need. I drilled a few holes and made it work. It was expensive I seem to remember about five bills. I also have to make my own shroud although I could probably get by without it but I prefer to have one. Let me know if I can help you by getting you the measurements and the name of the company I bought through I'm in the hospital right now I don't recall the measurements for the vendor. Good luck with your 63 it was a good year. By the way what's under the hood?

I just thought of something...... on that "higher neck" radiator cap spout, have it cut down and re welded to size/fit by an aluminum welder.

Re: cap too high:
I know in my instance of fitting the "exact fit" Griffin in my '68, that was also going to be an issue....
Until I decided to exactly center the radiator on the centerline of the water pump/fan, that is.
That solved a lot of issues (including being able to use a factory shroud, for example), including
the cap being at a proper level once new mounting holes were established.

The additional challenge for me was putting a 26" radiator where a 22" was without replacing the
right side support sheetmetal. Turned out, there were holes available on the drivers' side in perfect
spots and I only had to drill some on the passenger side support.
I then cut away the perfect amount of passenger side support to match the radiator fin area.
Looks like it belongs there now. :)

For what its worth.....
Since I didn't give a crap about originality on my slant six to 440 swapped 62, I cut the core support open and installed a high efficiency bb Cordoba 28"(or is it 26? have to go out to measure)radiator along with the Cordoba shroud. A few mods here and there, flex fan behind, transcooler inside the shroud, auxiliary electric pusher to cool between rounds. Cools a 500hp 440 very well. Used all stock mount holes on one side, drilled what I needed on the other.

Thanks for the info 62maxx...looking forward of your update!

Auto Transport Service
Back