• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1964 Dodge 440

Figured I'd kill some time before everyone showed up for "Thanksgiving" dinner yesterday. Scrubber made by our old neighbour from crotchet string and some MAAS polish, worked very well to clean up the wide flat portions.
View attachment 1181555
Buffer with White on the hard wheel and rouge on the soft.
View attachment 1181556
Passenger side eyebrow has a dent, we'll fix it a bit.
View attachment 1181558
Hammer and dolly time..
View attachment 1181559
Final polish on the passenger side eyebrow after dent reduction
View attachment 1181560
Looks good for now back in place. Want to get a few more drives in before I tear all the trim off the car to polish correctly
View attachment 1181564
Front grill is quite tarnished along the bottom length.
View attachment 1181566
MAAS and the scrubber cleaned it up a bit, need to take the grill off the car and do it properly with a power wheel this Winter.
View attachment 1181567
Looks pretty good from 10 feet.
View attachment 1181568
Need to find a better mirror. Thought this was some junk yard find, but it has a Chrysler part # on it of correct vintage
View attachment 1181570
The mirror on my 65 looked kind of like that. I used a hard wheel with a grey compound, then slowly worked to soft buff with red rouge. It is so much better

The mirror on my 65 looked kind of like that. I used a hard wheel with a grey compound, then slowly worked to soft buff with red rouge. It is so much better
This one is beyond revival. I've done a lot of magic on chrome and trim with the Bee and Bird, but this mirror isn't worth any effort. Found one on Ebag in nice shape, but the prick won't ship out of the USA or even change the listing so I can buy it and have him ship elsewhere..

This one is beyond revival. I've done a lot of magic on chrome and trim with the Bee and Bird, but this mirror isn't worth any effort. Found one on Ebag in nice shape, but the prick won't ship out of the USA or even change the listing so I can buy it and have him ship elsewhere..
A buddy of mine just bought a repro 2-poster from Nigel at Moparts North last week. The mirror should not be on the front fender, but back on the door.

A buddy of mine just bought a repro 2-poster from Nigel at Moparts North last week. The mirror should not be on the front fender, but back on the door.
It actually works really nice where it is... and I'm not welding up the holes! :eek:

"Door" mirror was an option in '64, maybe that's where a dealer put it... who knows.

Send me a pm with the ebay listing if you would want me to buy it for you and then send it north. More time and $, but if you really want it.....

Send me a pm with the ebay listing if you would want me to buy it for you and then send it north. More time and $, but if you really want it.....

Thanks Joel! Just gonna let it ride for now and wait for a better OE to pop up. Now that I know there's a repro made for it (no pentastar) I don't need to snap up the first one I see.

Don't they repo those mirrors?
YEP, no Pentastar on it.

Yep about 1/2 gone. I put a bolt and lock washer in it and it snugged up pretty tight for now. I'll have to get my cast rods out at a later date and do some filler work.
Damn. Too bad you weren't closer lol. I'm in need of some block welding myself.

Another ffs... you'd think Nigel's shipper would send a matched set when they're 90 bucks each. Two different mfg's and the Raybestos one is 1.3 lbs heavier! Oh well, Nigel's got another one coming to me tomorrow to make a matched set at his expense!
1964dodge440cleanup 148.JPG
1964dodge440cleanup 151.JPG

I bought my mirror on Ebay. Had one on the driver side and wanted one on the passenger.
s-l1600.jpg

I see absolutely nowhere that the body of this car is actually grounded to the battery and engine. Must be getting it's body ground via the trans cooler lines and radiator. I have a few thousand of these around..
1964dodge440cleanupweek2.5 001.JPG

That'll do the trick, out of sight behind the carburetor. It has more "play" in it that it looks.
1964dodge440cleanupweek2.5 006.JPG

Threatened the ignition module with a new one and a new wiring harness, courteous of the car seller, and then gave the old harness one last look over first.
1964dodge440cleanupweek2.5 005.JPG

It may have just been loose female connectors on the harness plug, gave them a squeeze and put it back on tight. Can't kill the car, so next hot cruise will tell the tale. Spares are in the glove box so it'll never die again...
1964dodge440cleanupweek2.5 009.JPG

Needed to swap spots so I can open the 440's doors fully to install the window to roof rail seals. That'll come after painting and trim work in the house...:(
1964dodge440cleanupweek2.5 012.JPG

Yah.. well you can never have enough pictures! I can't believe that this car is 4" longer than my Bee!
1964dodge440cleanupweek2.5 034.JPG

Thanks, as noted earlier... for now I'm holding out for an OE in better condition than I have. These repros don't have a pentastar and in all honesty too damn shinny for the rest of the trim.. LOL

Not much of a "read the manual" kinda guy, but can't hurt on a 57 year old car. Nice clean original, not a crappy reproduction .
1964dodge440cleanupweek2.5 067.JPG

Now I know what the steering wheel horn ring center says after seeing the manual cover. I can make it out know that I know WHAT I'm reading
1964dodge440cleanupweek2.5 068.JPG

Found that rare hens tooth that many said I may never find. Freshly prepped and triple plated '64 Dodge rear bumper. Shipping from California is gonna hurt... on top of the sale price. Listed at $1000 US and he took my $875 offer. Considering it cost me $1400Cdn to have my Bee rear bumper done, I'm pretty happy at this point. 'Till I see what shipping finalizes at anyhow.. LOL
bumper1.jpg

bumper2.jpg

Sorry for the loss of your sister. Loved one's can not be replaced. But Grand children carry on the legend. Nice car.

Thanks, as noted earlier... for now I'm holding out for an OE in better condition than I have. These repros don't have a pentastar and in all honesty too damn shinny for the rest of the trim.. LOL

I can appreciate that. I'm sure you'll find it.

Just because you're on "house duty" doesn't mean you can't order parts each time you pass by your keyboard... nice new tail light lenses.
1964dodge440cleanupweek2.5 072.JPG

Parts to rebuild that '66 axle housing I picked up last week. Emergency brake levers and struts, new pumpkin to housing nuts and new U joint clamps and bolts!
1964dodge440cleanupweek2.5 073.JPG

When you can smell the box even before the Fedex guy opens the delivery van door!
1964dodge440cleanupweek2.5 078.JPG

Bearings, seals, gaskets, shoes, wheel cylinders, etc and three bottles of the stinky stuff ! Everything to complete the rear axle overhaul and some spares.
1964dodge440cleanupweek2.5 081.JPG

Only thing Ford is good for here is the sure trac clutch gooo.
1964dodge440cleanupweek2.5 085.JPG

I guess Cass/DoctorDiff only had two bottles of Ford, got one from Spicer. I bought three as they were only $8US each. $32Cdn each if I walk into the Ford dealer here..
1964dodge440cleanupweek2.5 084.JPG

As purchased.
1964dodge440cleanupweek3 001.JPG

Thought my chrome ramcharger air cleaner would look neat, but unfortunately the hood won't close as the Edelbrock Torker intake has things too high up.
1964dodge440cleanupweek3 003.JPG

Wife said lets go for a cruise, but considering the temperature I thought some roof rail to window seals might be a good idea first. Removing the empty roof rail on the passenger side.
1964dodge440cleanupweek3 005.JPG

Stainless roof rail channel removed.
1964dodge440cleanupweek3 009.JPG

Someone beat it up with a screw driver prying, need to straighten the wows out first before new seals
1964dodge440cleanupweek3 010.JPG

Original white foam seal strip between the stainless channel and the car body.
1964dodge440cleanupweek3 011.JPG

New roof rail seals. RR4006 from Soft Seal.
1964dodge440cleanupweek3 012.JPG

There is a left and a right.
1964dodge440cleanupweek3 013.JPG

But first, since the channels are off the car they need to get polished. Black compound on the heavy wheel to get rid of scratches and then green on the soft wheel to polish.
1964dodge440cleanupweek3 018.JPG

That'll do...
1964dodge440cleanupweek3 026.JPG

New body to rail seals. 10 bucks US.
1964dodge440cleanupweek3 027.JPG

I put the new seal over the back end, set the channel into place and drapped the seal off the end. One screw hand threaded into the foam and then put the channel up into place.
1964dodge440cleanupweek3 030.JPG

Roof rail channel all screwed into place, time to install the new seal. Clipped in enough just to hold it and then put the two screws in the front end of the seal, which has a metal plate embedded in same.
1964dodge440cleanupweek3 034.JPG

Sure can't complain that they don't give you enough material.
1964dodge440cleanupweek3 038.JPG

Some cheap trim removal tools work good for pushing the seal into the channel to lock it in place.
1964dodge440cleanupweek3 039.JPG

New seals into place and the door windows now seal nicely.
1964dodge440cleanupweek3 043.JPG

All that was left for a seal on the drivers side.
1964dodge440cleanupweek3 044.JPG

Drivers side roof rail coming off, repeat the polish and new seal installation. This side went a lot quicker.
1964dodge440cleanupweek3 050.JPG

Now lets get that cruise in..
1964dodge440cleanupweek3 061.JPG

Honey, I'm ready....
1964dodge440cleanupweek3 063.JPG

Auto Transport Service
Back