• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1964 Dodge 440

Wayne, my condolences for your loss. Very nice car you and the Wife acquired. Congratulations.

My condolences on the loss of your sister. The car looks great and the crossram is a nice touch. I had a black 64 and agree that car looks the best that color.

My condolences as well.

Looks like you have an American car! Very rare!
Well,, north of the border anyway..

So sorry about your sister Wayne, like posted above, it had to be a heavy burden on what normally would have been a fantastic day.
Car looks awesome in black. Told myself I would never own another black car, but that one is really sharp. I am really drawn to the triangle c-pillars on those models.
I was depending on you to tell me how to keep a Black car clean without swirl marks! LOL

sorry for your loss of your sister our prayers are with you also great looking dodge

I was depending on you to tell me how to keep a Black car clean without swirl marks! LOL
I realized it was impossible to not put slight scratches in the clear anytime I touched it. That and the fact that it looked dirty 15 minutes after wiping it down drove me nuts. You will have an awful time keeping it clean living on that long gravel driveway. My advice is to just drive it and don't get bent out of shape because it always looks dirty.

Man this thing's a great cruising boat, nice and quiet on the highway... hands off the wheel at 60mph and she goes straight. Can't hook those Cooper Cobra P275/60's up in the rain though ! Rear wheels should be offset a 1/2" more inboard, as there is a good 1.25" between tire and spring, yet any small bump has the tire rubbing the outer wheel wells side. BFH time...

Had to see my Granddaughter and give her a squeeze for some smiles. She's already trying to drive it...
1964dodge440cruisetokristals 002.JPG

1964dodge440cruisetokristals 010.JPG
1964dodge440cruisetokristals 012.JPG
1964dodge440cruisetokristals 016.JPG
1964dodge440cruisetokristals 027.JPG
1964dodge440cruisetokristals 030.JPG
1964dodge440cruisetokristals 040.JPG

Wayne, you know that if that has the original rear axle in it, the 64 axle housing is the widest of the early B body axles. The 65s are about an inch and a half narrower, the 62-63 axle is about 2 inches narrower. Swap in an earlier or later axle and you’ve solved the tire rub problem. Years ago, Cragar actually made a special rear wheel for the 64s with a lot of offset.

Thanks! Gotta get my Sister buried and then I'll get it on the hoist and pull the rear wheels and see where I'm at.

Sorry for your loss Wayne. Condolences to you and your family.
Good way to take your mind off of things. Beauty 64!

if you are going to change rear ends, try to go with a '66-'67. They are narrower, plus they get rid of that tapered axle set-up and all the hassles that go with it.

Sorry for your loss!! Congratulations on the new arrival!! Very nice!!

A little disappointed but more motivation to put a non-taper axle rear end in her. Manages to turn BOTH P275's nicely, yet I find it's NOT a sure grip unit, but an open 3.23 rear. Dang..
1964dodge440inshop 009.JPG
1964dodge440inshopoct92021 002.JPG

So it begins, don't tell the Wife....
1964dodge440inshop 013.JPG

Quick inspection to see what I actually bought.
1964dodge440inshop 029.JPG

3" stainless tail pipes, probably adds to the quiet with slowed down flow after 2.5" front head pipes.
1964dodge440inshop 041.JPG

Body is solid, one rear floor panel has been patched in, other than that is original.
1964dodge440inshop 045.JPG

Trunk is solid. Should be gray spackle I believe for '64, but I hate that anyhow. I bought all the jack and tire hold down parts last night on FBBO for 85 bucks.
1964dodge440inshop 048.JPG

Keeping this in the back of my mind as I go, to turn it into a Max Wedge clone, but that will lead to max wedge exhaust manifolds.. and.. and.. now on to that basement day care centre first.
1964dodgepolara 018.JPG

Trunks were painted as yours is, with the plaid mat.

Really nothing wrong with the tapered axles, drag cars ran them for years without any major problems.
You need the side filler panels for the trunk, they are repopped but easily fabbed out of luan.
The MW setup looks cool under the hood, but there are much better choices, 60 years of technology you know. Not really sure how a MW manifold and 60 year old AFBs with 3:23 gears would work out. Remember that you need heads to match the ports on the manifold.
Looks really nice underneath.

What the Wife bought me is a step up, I think, from 60 year old AFB's. That said I'm not set on installing it, not to this engine at least which appears to be a 73 block, probably out of a truck.
1964dodgepolara 077.JPG
1964dodgepolara 078.JPG

As for the rear end, I figure if I need to find a sure grip pumpkin I may as well try to pick up a '66/67 or similar complete rear axle assembly.

Auto Transport Service
Back