• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1964 Dodge stock steel hood weight?

Thanks for the replies guys, that's some good infomation worth having. A couple of other things i was wondering about, How much does a early b body bucket seat weigh?, rear seat top or bottom weight?. Would Glasstek bolt on hood be the best choice for fiberglass hood replacement ( mostly street car)?. And lastly are there any threads that go into detail about 64,65 Dodge/ Plymouth weight loss. Thanks for all responses.
Glasstek is a great product you have two options race or street hood.

I think I came across the thread that FMJ was referring to and wow, rabbit hole :lol: . Actually fun stuff to read. I'd like to think that there is always going to be one more car in my future and that thread is a great reference. The car i'm working on now is suppose to be "done"( yeah right). I'm real happy with the way it turned out, it's a very comfortable, well mannered car. That biggest problem with the car is that it runs 11.11"s. Anyone who has had a street car that close to the 10's ( or 9's or whatever) feels my pain. Got to get that one 10.99 slip to validate myself as a human being.

Like one of the guys told me your car is never done and money and time makes it go faster. So that's where I'm at all short on time and money. But getting closer everytime I work on it. I'm pushing for a 10 second car after my first one was when I was a kid.

Late Sixties cartoon in a magazine: "Daddy, what's a light weight Camaro?" "Shut up and keep sanding!"

Since the car is basically complete and finished in the big picture sense I'm going to only chase some low hanging fruit in the weight deduction department. May go with a Gasstek hood with their hemi style scoop and glass front bumper. Thinking about swapping a Braile (sp) 21 lb. battery for my 60lb. group 29 marine battery at least for the tract. The car has heavy torq thrust wheels 15x4 1/2 front , 15x10 rear. Facebook market place has lots of used Weld Draglite wheels for sale but i'm having a hard time finding weights. Anyone know what a 15x4 Draglite weighs? how about with a 26" or 27" radial front runner?. I read a post by FMJ ( i think) that there was a higher ratio of weight loss to be found in the actual tire than the wheel itself, may have something to do with rotational forces and the tire being at the outer most part. Wallace racing says it needs to loose 120 lbs to get to 10.99, 20lbs of it could come from me but I don't want to talk about that part.

I weighed a lot of my wheels and tires, and now can't find where I wrote them down, so going by memory.
My supertrick skinnies are the lightest I own, 8 1/2 lbs. The centerline skinnies not much more (10 lbs?). I think the skinnies with street vw tires are around 25 lbs. My centerline prostock skinnies with Goodyear front runner 24s was just a hair over 20. (Short , to fit on my cortina).
If you have 15x7 tts with street tires, I think you could save 15lbs a wheel with a lightweight skinny and a frontrunner style tire.
I know that my centerline race setup is 80 lbs less than my steelie/T/A radial street setup.

The Drag lites are pretty light. At least 50lbs a set lighter than the Americans. I believe when i swapped last year (15×10 200S) the rears were 14lbs a piece lighter. There's a lot of structure and brackets in the front of a 64 Dodge. Big weight savings with glass bumper, light bumper brackets, and unneeded structure removal.
Doug

The Drag lites are pretty light. At least 50lbs a set lighter than the Americans. I believe when i swapped last year (15×10 200S) the rears were 14lbs a piece lighter. There's a lot of structure and brackets in the front of a 64 Dodge. Big weight savings with glass bumper, light bumper brackets, and unneeded structure removal.
Doug
I would start an early B-body weight loss thread but then again after all that was done all these years, it might be coming off as showboating or show boasting, so I'll keep it tight.

I would start an early B-body weight loss thread but then again after all that was done all these years, it might be coming off as showboating or show boasting, so I'll keep it tight.
Learning and sharing knowledge isn't showboating. Trust me I've had the honor of working on this light weight masterpiece. Incredible out of the box ideas tuned into reality.
Doug

Learning and sharing knowledge isn't showboating. Trust me I've had the honor of working on this light weight masterpiece. Incredible out of the box ideas tuned into reality.
Doug
Man, it would be great to have a thread on here about weight loss. Maybe one that outlined the basics for newbes like me. Just spitballing but it would be a great asset for forum members to learn some of tricks from guys that have been there and done like yourselves. I'd love to learn more about where to loose the weight, like sprung weight/ unsprung weight, is there a higher valve for unsprung weight loss?, what is the ratio?. How about center of gravity?. Common engine, chassis part weights for our B bodies? I'm thinking it would be a fun thread B body racers and even us street car guys could learn some new tricks, go a little faster and make our cars last a little longer.

Yep I agree bring it on. Sharing is caring and us fat boys need alot of both.

Bought a set of used scales. Weighed my 64 today. Actually thought it would be bit lighter. Body is all steel except the hood. Iron Mega block, Dana, fire system. Full interior except the rear seat. Without driver and 5 gallons of fuel. Then with me, fire suit, helmet.
Doug

20230517_195800.jpg

20230517_200011.jpg

Honestly I think dropping 110 pounds wood be pretty easy to do, but not quite sure what has all been done already.

Or you can wait til the fall, and negative DA, find a lighter driver and watch for a tailwind.... voila - 10.99 :)

There is a lot of weight saving ideas and I think you are on the right track - lighter battery, different wheels, definitely a hood.

Of course it only takes money for much of that. I am going with tubular K-Member, A-arms, and losing the torsion bars (but coilovers will negate that) and of course alum heads. So I am hoping to drop 150 off the front, and maybe a glass hood.

But then putting a Dana in place of the 8.75 so I will replace that weight in the back....and I am a fat bastard so that doesnt help :( but I have skinny nephews that can drive....LOL

Doug, where did you get your used scales, a racing buddy? I would LOVE to have a set, but I can't justify the expense of new scales, and they are going up every day it seems. Wish I had bought a set when they were $600/new!

My local track is Atco but it seems that they don't turn their scale on too offen. I was buying lawn fert. down the street at the local co-op and they agreed to let me use their scale, they said "Weights and Measures" had just been there so it's dead on.I would like to get it weighed somewhere else for a back up number. My 64' Polara and me ( i'm 260) weighted in at 4060 lbs.!. So scale says car is 3800 on the nose. It currently is all steel,full interior, factory buckets, console,dana 60 ( S-60), 45lbs. Gear Vendors unit, 493 w/aluminum heads,water pump,26" aluminum radiator-normal stuff plus A/C, 55lbs. of sound deadener, heavy Torq-thrust 15x10's and 15x41/2". Almost no consideration to weight savings was given to the car at the time due to it being said that Atco was closing which is now not the case. I first mentioned the hood because of all the body panels it's the only one i'm not real happy with , Dustless Baster guy warped it slightly and I chased it but still not thrilled.

Last edited:
Got a new $25 dollar bathroom scale so I started to weigh some parts: 1 1/4" front RMS sway bar =20 lbs. 15x4 1/2" Torq Thrust with 185r 15 Vredestein Sprint classic tire weighs 36.7 lbs. Tire Rack lists them at 19 lbs. each and American list the wheels at 17.4 lbs. each, so pretty close. Haven't weighed them yet but my 15x10 rears are said to weigh 21.3 and the 390/45/15 M&H drag radials are said to weighin at 38.61 lbs, so that would be 60 lbs per on the back. The 390 tires are great on the street and have the look but that wide and heavy tire isn't needed at the track on this car for sure. I'm looking for decent used wheelss/ tires but that may take some time. Fronts will be way easier to find than the rears with the right B. space that I need. So can I run a bias front runner with a drag radial rear tire, I don't like to mix them on the street but is it ok bias front/ radial rear?

My local track is Atco but it seems that they don't turn their scale on too offen. I was buying lawn fert. down the street at the local co-op and they agreed to let me use their scale, they said "Weights and Measures" had just been there so it's dead on.I would like to get it weighed somewhere else for a back up number. My 64' Polara and me ( i'm 260) weighted in at 4060 lbs.!. So scale says car is 3800 on the nose. It currently is all steel,full interior, factory buckets, console,dana 60 ( S-60), 45lbs. Gear Vendors unit, 493 w/aluminum heads,water pump,26" aluminum radiator-normal stuff plus A/C, 55lbs. of sound deadener, heavy Torq-thrust 15x10's and 15x41/2". Almost no consideration to weight savings was given to the car at the time due to it being said that Atco was closing which is now not the case. I first mentioned the hood because of all the body panels it's the only one i'm not real happy with , Dustless Baster guy warped it slightly and I chased it but still not thrilled.
She's a portly one! I remember running my buddies 64 for a season. Basically the same but; 8 3/4 , no console, GV, a/c, sound deadner and weld drag lites. It was 3450 no driver.
I haven't weighed my current one. It's pretty full blown stock and ran the same #s with the same motor so I assumed it's at or under 3500.

She's a portly one! I remember running my buddies 64 for a season. Basically the same but; 8 3/4 , no console, GV, a/c, sound deadner and weld drag lites. It was 3450 no driver.
I haven't weighed my current one. It's pretty full blown stock and ran the same #s with the same motor so I assumed it's at or under 3500.
I had/ having a hard time with that 3800lb. number and may run it down to the Cat scale not far from me. The moment I saw the scale flash 4060 my first thought was " I knew these bastards where overcharging",lol. I figured the car itself weighed around 3600-3650, guess i was wrong.

My 15x10 Torq-thrust with 390/45/15 M&H drag radial weighed in at 58.6 lbs, so not too far off of what the manufactors specs where.

Auto Transport Service
Back