• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1964 Emergency Brake Cable Installation

Frustration

Local time
9:10 AM
Reaction score
Hi. I'm installing new "Inline Tube" parking brake cables in the rear of my '64 Fury. Where can I find an assembly drawing of installation instructions? Thank you in advance. Tom

I will give you one hint that will save a lot of frustration. Where the cable enters the backing plate- on the inside, there will be 3-4 " fingers" that spread out and hold the end of the cable from pulling back out of the hole. That outer cable end fits the hole fairly snug. All the fingers have to be compressed completely so the end can go back out of the hole. It is a SOB to do that. I used a small hose clamp to compress the fingers, tightened just enough to do that. used a little punch and hammer , and drove the cable end back through the backing plate hole...easy peasy. You will probably have to dis assemble the brake componets to get the end of the cable loose from the lever and to re attach the new one, so I would do one side at a time so that you have a reference on putting things all back together correctly...................................MO

Thank you both for the replies. The car is at the shop getting exhaust and some small details completed. I plan to install the parking brake when it returns. Have a good weekend. Tom

Auto Transport Service
Back