• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1964 Fury Wrong Brake Shoes

Bob Jordan

Local time
12:36 AM
Reaction score
I had added this at the bottom of a sticky post but thought maybe it was important enough for a new post. I had been struggling with the 10x2.5 front brakes on the 1964 Sport Fury getting grabby and hot. On stands they self actuate rolling forward. This was all after installing Bosch BS169R shoes from Rock Auto.
OK I'll leave this here so folks can see at least one example of a shoe that fits and one that does not. Look at the primary shoe on the left. It is a bosch BS169R. The primary lining is biased way down low and the little crinkle pads on the sides (I hit them with a white marker) DO NOT LINE UP WITH THE CONTACT PADS ON THE BACKING PLATE!!!!! In fact those little contact crinkles hit those pads on the tops and sides and keep the shoe from operating correctly. These little dimples also seem to have great potential to wear grooves on the backing plate. See the primary shoe on the right. The lining is thicker and seems to be where it belongs. this shoe has bent over metal tabs in EXACTLY THE RIGHT PLACE to contact the contact points on the backing plate in a much friendlier fashion. This is a DynamicFriction 1903-0581-00 that I also got from Rock Auto. IT is also made in China but it fits. I communicated with Rock Auto and Bosch and neither cares that this Bosch shoe does not fit the application. I am still trying to find someone at Bosch to address this. Look at the difference in the contact area locations! Crazy!!!

IMG_2833.JPG

Last edited:
If you look at all the pictures on Rock Auto you can see the differences. My bets the older backing plates are made different than the newer ones. For sure I can see one big problem with the shoe on the left is drum size. Oversize excessively worn drums might allow the shoe with that design to ramp over the contact plate.

A L L that Chineseum garbage from the internet is garbage---- and will rip up your brake drums to smithereens......

What you should have done / should D O --- is find and utilize *** N.O.S. *** Asbestos *** Brake Shoes.......

I do have just that !!!! However, I sold a lot of them at the recently completed Chryslers @ Carlisle......

P.M. me, as per forum rules, if interested....

Craig.....

Well I got these on and the brakes work much better - good pedal, zero pull, no self actuation. The contact pad on the shoe plate at the TOP (1:00) in my picture above is still not a perfect match for the backing plate - it needs to be 1/2 farther toward top but it contacts enough to work properly. The Bosch BS169R was falling between the contact pads. Yes, our drums are near the max limit and that probably makes the whole system more succeptible to this kind of thing.

Auto Transport Service
Back