• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1964 Polara convertible top header

MoparMur

Local time
4:48 PM
Reaction score
Well in between all the other projects on the go we're slowly accumulating parts for Carmen's convertible. We have secured 2 parts cars as of late (a VERY rusty '64 Fury 'vert, and a '64 Polara 4dr. hardtop). The one part that has been very elusive to locate is the convertible top header that rests on top of the windshield frame. Can't seem to find any repop source for one, and contacting various wreckers hasn't turned up anything either. I've learned that this part is prone to rusting, as is evident on the 2 poor ones I have. Does anyone know of a source for this part? Also, I'm wondering if this a fairly generically-built part used thru the other carlines? In other words, perhaps a header from a later B-body, C-body, etc. could be modified (narrowed, etc.) to work? I'm pretty handy with fabricating, and have buddies in the metal trades as well. Finally, does anyone know if this part is directly interchangeable between '62-'65 cars?

Well in between all the other projects on the go we're slowly accumulating parts for Carmen's convertible. We have secured 2 parts cars as of late (a VERY rusty '64 Fury 'vert, and a '64 Polara 4dr. hardtop). The one part that has been very elusive to locate is the convertible top header that rests on top of the windshield frame. Can't seem to find any repop source for one, and contacting various wreckers hasn't turned up anything either. I've learned that this part is prone to rusting, as is evident on the 2 poor ones I have. Does anyone know of a source for this part? Also, I'm wondering if this a fairly generically-built part used thru the other carlines? In other words, perhaps a header from a later B-body, C-body, etc. could be modified (narrowed, etc.) to work? I'm pretty handy with fabricating, and have buddies in the metal trades as well. Finally, does anyone know if this part is directly interchangeable between '62-'65 cars?
62-63 Bare the same---64-65 B are the same They do not interchange
between the two group. Took me 3 years to find a good one for my 62 Dodge Dart vert.

I'm pretty handy with fabricating, and have buddies in the metal trades as well.

You are going to need that skill.

Here is my nightmare.

92108896-07BF-4BDF-A49C-96AC117E3EB0.jpeg 89D9A2D7-0D57-4FF1-AE35-A067999AC950.jpeg 88E1769B-4A8D-4450-A3F2-58571AD1ED36.jpeg 8BADD6AD-C27D-45B5-96E5-10B37C59CD08.jpeg

calling glenwood can you help.

I’m restoring a 64 Polara too but I’m nowhere near ready to tackle this part of the restoration.

Thanks Bearman. It’s a slow, ‘labor of love’ process and I’m behind in posting my progress pic’s. I’ll have to work on that...

Guess I'll type this to one more time... On my 68 Coronet I had the same issue, I re-skinned the whole topside.. I used the leading edge of the roof off a 4 door sedan parts car... I still had to form the pockets for the top pads at either end but the majority of the piece feel into place, the step down for the windshield gasket became the flange that bent around the leading edge of the top frame... Att the back I left the original step on the top frame & overlapped the new metal similar to whats shown above...

Interesting Wild R/T. I'm gonna look close at my parts car and see if it'll work for me. Honestly an idea I hadn't though of.

Auto Transport Service
Back