• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1964 Polara vs Polara 500

I once had a U.S. Polara 4-door hardtop as a parts car. All the inside roof trim,plus mirror and visor brackets were chromed, while all this trim in my Canadian Polara were painted. I changed them into my Canadian car for added flash. You are right about wiring plug to instrument panels being different between Canadian (Plymouth) panel and U.S. Dodge. There actually were Polara 500's made in Canada in spring of 1964. These still had the Plymouth instrument panel, but otherwise had the engine-turned insert in side chrome and appropriate Polara 500 signs. Before this, Polara's with bucket seats were the Canadian-only "Sport Package" cars with regular side trim with paint fill.

I once had a U.S. Polara 4-door hardtop as a parts car. All the inside roof trim,plus mirror and visor brackets were chromed, while all this trim in my Canadian Polara were painted. I changed them into my Canadian car for added flash. You are right about wiring plug to instrument panels being different between Canadian (Plymouth) panel and U.S. Dodge. There actually were Polara 500's made in Canada in spring of 1964. These still had the Plymouth instrument panel, but otherwise had the engine-turned insert in side chrome and appropriate Polara 500 signs. Before this, Polara's with bucket seats were the Canadian-only "Sport Package" cars with regular side trim with paint fill.
Great info and it all matches with what I came across back in the day. Good to know about the CDN Polara 500. I also had a CDN 64 Polara 4 Dr sedan, which I had set up as a sleeper. It also had painted interior trim. I always believed that the chrome trim was a US thing, as you noted. In my neck of the woods the things a guy never ever saw was a 64 Polara 500 or a 2-door post in either Dodge or Plymouth.
The old more door sleeper. Must be about 40 years ago now.
69FDD1B2-5423-4D68-A8BD-797E9AEDAFFA.jpeg

Auto Transport Service
Back