• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1964 Sport Fury Fender tag

Svendsen

Local time
2:40 AM
Reaction score
I have a 1964 Plymouth Sport Fury that I believe is equipped with 383 4 barrel, automatic, factory air, factory power windows, factory rear speaker with reverb, AM radio, and probably a couple other minor options. It's originally DD1 blue with blue interior.

I'm bothered by the fact that the hood ornament does not have "383" on it, and I cannot figure out the fender tag. I've searched a bunch of places, not getting definitive answers.

IMG_3772bb.jpg

Any help figuring out this fender tag would be much appreciated. Thanks!

Arvid Svendsen

The 5 under A denotes this car as a 383 -2BBL 305 hp 10.1:1 CR.

The 05 under A denotes this car as a 383 -2BBL 305 hp 10.1:1 CR.

A couple of thoughts.....

The 383-2bbl was not an option for the 64 Plymouth. The 361 was "the 2bbl motor". A 383 in a 64 Plymouth would be a 4bbl. Chryslers had a 383-2bbl.

In 64, different plants coded things differently. There was no consistency as to where the engine code was placed on the tag between plants. If this car was built at the Lynch Road plant, then the optional engine code would be a two digit number under AB.

As this car was not built at the Lynch Road plant, we need to ask the OP at which plant the car was built before we can proceed.

Yes you are correct we need the plant.4 th number in the Vin
I'd assumed it was the Newark plant as it was a single no. not the 05 as I original posted.
I agree also it would be the 4BBL :)

Thanks for all the help. I did try those links, and was still not able to figure it out. The car was built at the Los Angeles plant, spent most of its life in California. Again, thanks for any help.

Arvid Svendsen

- - - Updated - - -

Here is the car, just for reference. I believe it was purchased from long time California owners in 2003, brought to midwest, then down to Arkansas. I bought it from the owner in Arkansas.

IMG_3726bb.jpg

Arvid Svendsen

From what I can tell, the car had one repaint that is a closer to the turquoise color. I believe the engine compartment was not painted, so yes, the fender tag is far from pristine. Glad to confirm the car as a 383 4 bbl car. I was told that the car should have "383" on the hood ornament, but I'm hoping that is incorrect since my car has no engine size on the hood ornament.

Thanks!
Arvid Svendsen

Goldencommando, your picture has no engine callouts on the red white and blue ornaments that I can see. I believe those red white and blue ornaments are Sport Fury only, to match the red white and blue Sport Fury side molding, correct?
IMG_3749bb.jpg

But I take it that you are saying the red white and blue ornaments were on a non big block Sport Fury? a non big block Fury/Belvedere? The ornaments with engine callouts, are they Fury or Belvedere only, or are they also on a Sport Fury?

Thanks again for the help!
Arvid Svendsen

Any big block 64 no matter if it was a Savoy or a Sport Fury would have had the callout ornament. The plain red white and blue were used on anything from a Savoy, Belvedere, etc. that was not big block equipped.

A friend of mine, 45 years ago....had a 383 2bbl, 3 speed (in the tree).
I remember that because I had a 383 4bbl 4 speed......he had a belvedere....
........I had a Fury.
:icon_silent:

could he have had a "patrol car"???...2 door???

Hmmm,
Good question Sonny black....

Goldencommando seems to be the knowledgeble member on these early b-bodies...

Any big block 64 no matter if it was a Savoy or a Sport Fury would have had the callout ornament. The plain red white and blue were used on anything from a Savoy, Belvedere, etc. that was not big block equipped.

Thanks Goldencommando, appreciate the clarification about the hood ornaments.

Thanks again for all the replies about my fender tag, much appreciated!

Arvid Svendsen

Thanks Goldencommando, appreciate the clarification about the hood ornaments.

Thanks again for all the replies about my fender tag, much appreciated!

Arvid Svendsen

I think 318 or a 273.....had plain tag????, Sonny thinks?/:happy1:

The 383 2bbl 305 hp engine was an engine option for these cars in 64 as was the 318, 361, 426 street wedge, etc.

Auto Transport Service
Back