• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1965 383 Block in 1966 K frame?

HotRod777

Local time
4:00 PM
Reaction score
Guys please tell me its NOT me. I have an "old time" Mopar guy insisting this will NEVER work... He says the motor mount bosses are completely in a different place and do not match the k frame...
The plan:
1966 Coronet, currently a Slant6.
Incoming engine is a 1965 383 (A383 HP stamping)
I have V8 K frame from a 1966 Plymouth (w/single sheer idler arm) to bolt in.
I have a pair of 1966 motor mount brackets to use (the brackets for the engine bosses) and I will buy standard replacement rubber isolators.
Is there some reason this "will never work" like he says?

I know that 1965 and prior had the engine moved forward via a different K frame and use a different motor mount. (the 1963 and 1965 I had used the rubber isolators with the 2 vertical studs and nuts from underneath.) The 1966 mount I plan to use on this car are the ones that have the a single stud/nut to the engine bracket and 1 long horizontal bolt to attach the isolator to the K frame. I think I'm OK as long as all of the parts I use are from the same 'era'.
The 383 casting number is the same from like 59-71 right?

Thanks

Not sure about casting numbers but the 65 block should bolt right on in

No reason why it wouldn't work. The block sounds good also. All big wedge blocks use the same mounts except a few that came in a bodies. They had a special drivers side front mount. You are good as far as I know. Now how about the trans mount and cross member?

Agree with all the above since I personally have a 65 HP 383 attached to a 67 k member.

make sure you have the '66 and up motor mount brackets and isolators.

The old time Mopar guy is mixed up. He is probably thinking of the '65 style motor mounts. The ears on the blocks are the same, it is the brackets that changed. So as long as you use the brackets that match your K frame you will be fine.

Auto Transport Service
Back