• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1965 coronet 426 wedge identification

dan brooks

Local time
4:25 AM
Reaction score
I have come across what the owner is telling me is an original 65 coronet 440 that was equipped with a 426 wedge automatic from the factory. He claims to have the original motor/trans as well. There's nothing on the inside of the door that would tell me if this a real 426 wedge car. Exactly where would I look to verify this car is what he says it is? And, would the numbers from the motor and trans match up to any of the numbers on the car?
Now, with that said, this car is solid but needs a lot of loving, It's all there but needs paint, interior, and probably motor/trans rebuilt. If I were going to make an offer what in your eyes would be fair for this piece of history??

You can look at the date codes on motor/tranny, but they were never stamped with Vin ID's. Fender tag, and/or build sheets will back up the owner's claim. Post some pics, and I'm sure Members will help out...

Post a picture of the fender tag and V.I.N. There is no V.I.N. stamped on the engine in 65, only a model year, c.i.d. and assembly date. There are some numbers on the radiator support, upper driver's side. Post them too. If the engine is a 426 then the numbers will be on a pad at the front sticking out from the intake manifold rail.

The fender tag will tell should have 11 inch brakes and sway bar and chrome valve cover and air cleaner. A solid car with everything there I would offer 5 to 8k. As everyone says you will still be upside down but cool cars what color?

Data plate is best way to tell if it is an original 426W car. My '65 Monaco is a factory 426 4-speed car. Under AB should be 80 and under D should be 5 I believe for an automatic; mine is 3 for 4-speed.

Its not as easy to verify as later cars for sure. Curious to know why the air of doubt tho?? Any pics of car? And what is the current drive train? You said he has the original motor and trans, is this a roller? Its certainly not likely to be a small block in the car now right?

The fender tag will tell you if it is a 426W car or not. Harder to tie the engine to the car. It should be an A426 block and the assembly date should be a few weeks sooner than the production date of the car. That is about as good as you can get on the engine. Extra points if the car has the correct big block radiator and stuff like that.

You have to check the body numbers to determine if the fender tag is original to the car. They are easy to swap to a different body.

Data plate is best way to tell if it is an original 426W car. My '65 Monaco is a factory 426 4-speed car. Under AB should be 80 and under D should be 5 I believe for an automatic; mine is 3 for 4-speed.
I bought a 65 Monaco 20 years ago with a 426 and 4 speed . I parted most of it out due to EXTREME RUST from the doors back , no trunk floor and deck lid was just a skin . sold 4 speed , shifter and console with factory tack to one guy and posi unit to a man doing a street rod . I pulled the motor and tore it down and still have the block . Stamped on the pad next to the dist. is 426 HP . Hope this will help with your question . John

I have come across what the owner is telling me is an original 65 coronet 440 that was equipped with a 426 wedge automatic from the factory. He claims to have the original motor/trans as well. There's nothing on the inside of the door that would tell me if this a real 426 wedge car. Exactly where would I look to verify this car is what he says it is? And, would the numbers from the motor and trans match up to any of the numbers on the car?
Now, with that said, this car is solid but needs a lot of loving, It's all there but needs paint, interior, and probably motor/trans rebuilt. If I were going to make an offer what in your eyes would be fair for this piece of history??
Did you look for a build sheet under the rear seat or other places?

The fender tag will tell you if it is a 426W car or not. Harder to tie the engine to the car. It should be an A426 block and the assembly date should be a few weeks sooner than the production date of the car. That is about as good as you can get on the engine. Extra points if the car has the correct big block radiator and stuff like that.
This is a bad pic of id pad on the motor . Block is in N.C. brother took a pic and sent it by phone and I took a pic with my camera not real clear but you can make out the A426 and HP stamped on it . Hope This Helps John
IMG_2525 (2).JPG
IMG_2525 (3).JPG
IMG_2525.JPG

Are you selling the block? If you are How much are you asking?

Auto Transport Service
Back