• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1965 Coronet rear drivers wheel hot to touch after drive

I'd disable the self adjuster on drivers side and make sure no dragging brakes. It's easier than messing with the axle. Plus the OP didn't say it was a problem before doing brakes.

OP said that his wheel bearings were repacked, from the pictures, must have been the fronts only, the rear axle flange nuts and retainers appear to be undisturbed. There would be evidence if the brake shoes were dragging, burned smell and heat. I am thinking it's his left rear wheel bearing, the rear wheel bearings on that car year get packed with grease too, they are not lubricated by the rear end lube. They also need to have the end play properly adjusted after repacking with grease. Or make the move to Green bearings.

OP said that his wheel bearings were repacked, from the pictures, must have been the fronts only, the rear axle flange nuts and retainers appear to be undisturbed. There would be evidence if the brake shoes were dragging, burned smell and heat. I am thinking it's his left rear wheel bearing, the rear wheel bearings on that car year get packed with grease too, they are not lubricated by the rear end lube. They also need to have the end play properly adjusted after repacking with grease. Or make the move to Green bearings.
Was thinking the same looking at the greasy grit not giving any indication of bearings being replaced. Lol, get to talking about green bearings, you’ll find a mile long thread(s) on them. I went with greens and on the 2nd set, so far so good, BUT given a do-over I’d have just kept things alone with the OEM and adjuster plate. NOTHING wrong with them; but getting talked into them as a nice have from a good bud. I have a bad habit of not listening to my gut feelings sometimes.

Don’t know, given what the OP has described doesn’t sound like a brake issue…so my next guess is a dying bearing.

Hope you had a great holiday. Diff fluid full. Check out the pictures I took today after a 20 minute ride. Thinking axle bearing even though there is zero noise or axle play. Any thought would be appreciated. Thank you!

IMG_2075.jpg

IMG_2076.jpg

IMG_2079.jpg

IMG_2080.jpg

Auto Transport Service
Back