• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1966 belvedere largest tire

Nice looking coronet. Anymore pictures of it?

Coronet at Track.jpg

normal_135.jpg

That one only rubs on the right, the most miniscule amount when I'm hammering around county road turns when my wife is in the car with me. (She's not big, only 110lbs, don't mean it that way). Keep in mind that's 57 year old bushings and springs too. The coronet with only 23 year old springs does not rub at all. With those wheels and tires.

That one only rubs on the right, the most miniscule amount when I'm hammering around county road turns when my wife is in the car with me. (She's not big, only 110lbs, don't mean it that way). Keep in mind that's 57 year old bushings and springs too. The coronet with only 23 year old springs does not rub at all. With those wheels and tires.
Biggest pain is changing tires. Requires jack stands and jack. Jack up on stands and let springs hang down to clear quarter. Price you pay to look badass, that's all.

MAN that looks close! I would never be able to drive that without worrying about damaging the metal.
All along over the years I thought the biggest for the 66-67 B bodies was 255/60/15 in the rear. Now I see a few of you getting away with 275/60/15 by using a 7" rim. That's pretty wide for a 7" rim. Any downsides to that? Does it feel hoppy in the corners with that sidewall rolling over? Straight line maybe it's a slight advantage actually?

Biggest pain is changing tires. Requires jack stands and jack. Jack up on stands and let springs hang down to clear quarter. Price you pay to look badass, that's all.
I've never had a problem taking a tire off. You just gotta jack up the car high enough.

MAN that looks close! I would never be able to drive that without worrying about damaging the metal.
All along over the years I thought the biggest for the 66-67 B bodies was 255/60/15 in the rear. Now I see a few of you getting away with 275/60/15 by using a 7" rim. That's pretty wide for a 7" rim. Any downsides to that? Does it feel hoppy in the corners with that sidewall rolling over? Straight line maybe it's a slight advantage actually?
It's better to use a 8 inch wheel. Less buldge.

I've never had a problem taking a tire off. You just gotta jack up the car high enough.
I usually jack up the rear by placing the jack under the differential pumpkin, but then you need to place the car on jackstands to lower the tire past the fender lip.
Any alternate suggestions for roadside rear tire changes when running a 275/60/15? I'm not a fan of lifting from one corner of the car due to the unibody construction flexing.

I usually jack up the rear by placing the jack under the differential pumpkin, but then you need to place the car on jackstands to lower the tire past the fender lip.
Any alternate suggestions for roadside rear tire changes when running a 275/60/15? I'm not a fan of lifting from one corner of the car due to the unibody construction flexing.
that's what I do too.

I've always jacked the car by lifting one corner.

I've tried to find wheel/tire dimensional drawings online with little success. Is there a wheel / tire retailer that provides such info?

If you roll the inner wheel well lip in you can fit 275-60-15 on 15x8 4.5 backspace. They can fit well on some 66-67 B bodies and might be tight on others. My car's right rear wheel well is at least a 1/2 inch tighter then the left side. This is a old photo, I now have a narrowed Dana and 15x12 wheel and larger tires.

45447353_2103314933014538_4536591199611387904_n.jpg

Last edited:
I'm hoping to pick up a 67 Coronet wagon this weekend. The deal includes a set of 15x7 Cop wheels, no tires on them. Has 14's w/ 225/70r14's. I'm wanting to put 245/60r-15 on front and 275/60r-15 on the back. Fill up the openings better than the short/skinnies on it now. Anyone have any feedback on fitment issues?

I'm hoping to pick up a 67 Coronet wagon this weekend. The deal includes a set of 15x7 Cop wheels, no tires on them. Has 14's w/ 225/70r14's. I'm wanting to put 245/60r-15 on front and 275/60r-15 on the back. Fill up the openings better than the short/skinnies on it now. Anyone have any feedback on fitment issues?
I've never owned a 66/67 b-body , so take this with a grain of salt. Depending on the backspace of the cop rims, I would probably go with a 255/70x15 on the rear (taller, not quite as wide as the 275,) and probably a 235/60 (or 70) on the front. If the 255/70 is too tall, then a 255/60.
The tire site I use says 7.5-9.5 for a 275/60. I wouldnt worry about a half inch, if the backspace is right and the tires will fit.
Edit: 255/70 is 29+ tall, probably too tall for a 66/67. I'm using them on a 62, with the rearend moved back a bit.

Last edited:
Auto Transport Service
Back