• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1966 Charger Front Sway Bar Questions

Stukenbroeker

Local time
10:06 AM
Reaction score
Hey guys. Just pulled the front sway bar from the charger and noticed that the bushings/sway bar end links that came in the bushing kit I bought don't look anything like the stock stuff.

So, the question is.....do the replacement sway bars have different mounting hardware/endlinks, or am I better off keeping the factory sway bar, getting it powder coated, and hunting down the proper bushings?

Thanks as always!

Maybe you got parts for a 70 and up bar? Can you post some pics of what you have?

I'm betting he has an "early production" Charger that has 1965 K-frame & sway bar...

what is the production date on fender tag?

That hits a sore spot......the fender tag is missing on this car... :icon_cry:
I'll get pics ASAP

- - - Updated - - -

The bushing kit was Energy Suspension Hyperflex 5-18105R

Does your sway bar look like this? This is early 66 and back sway bar. I have two 66 plymouths with this bar.
sway bar 1.jpg
sway bar 2.jpg

Yep, that looks like the one. The sway bar end links are permanently attached to the point that mounts to the sway bar.

So it sounds like I should be looking for the 65-early 66 style sway bar hardware/bushings. I would prefer to update it if that's possible. Would the newer style bolt up to the existing mounting points?

Also, your picture captions had me interested. I guess they kind of mixed and matched during different parts of the model year. My dash definitely has the Volcano style gauge center instead of the satellite dish style.

- - - Updated - - -

Here are the actual brackets that came off the car. If that helps...

Attachments

• photo 2-5.JPG
    photo 2-5.JPG
    35 KB · Views: 496
  • photo 1-5.JPG
    photo 1-5.JPG
    35.7 KB · Views: 522
you can make the later sway bar work, but you have to change lower control arms.

I have heard that you can get end link adapters that bolt on with the lower shock bolt.

And yes, you have an early production car with 65 K-frame.....there are new rubbers out there, but hard to find.....Try PST and go from there

Also, your picture captions had me interested. I guess they kind of mixed and matched during different parts of the model year. My dash definitely has the Volcano style gauge center instead of the satellite dish style.

zezu9eha.jpg

Sorry, guess I should have posted the entire image....

gauge cluster could have been changed at some point.....change was around end of Feb to first week in March

So should I assume that the other bushings included in the kit are also going to be incorrect? such as the upper control arm bushings, strut rod bushings......

never assume anything.....

check with the company you purchased them from. Basically, you need to tell them your car is an early build 66 and it has a 65 "B" body front suspension.

if they are not smart enough to figure this out or cannot help you, find another vendor that will take the time to help with your needs

My 66 hemi Belvedere has that early sway bar (Jan 26th 66 SPD) and I was told it's the same as C body stuff. Seems to me I have seen this arrangement somewhere before. If it is C body that might open up some possibilities.

x2, that looks like what's under my 66' new Yorker. I'm going against the grain, and rebuilding a 70' roadrunner K member assy and putting it in my 66' to get rid of the old 65-66 style.
I didn't have a sway bar or anything on mine, it was just easier to get rid of it.

Auto Transport Service
Back