• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1966 Charger Questions

CoronetRTguy

Local time
10:10 AM
Reaction score
Hi all I just saw a 66 Charger come up for sale and it may be something I can either trade my Vette for or sell the Vette and afford.

I believe the car is running and has a 440 and I know its not correct motor for that year in a Charger.

What parts if any are reproduced? I think qrter panels not produced at all or floor pans.

What are trouble areas?

What motors were offered? I'm thinking 318, 361 (is that right) 426 and one more but not a 440, was a 383 even offered?

I have always liked the 66-67 Charger and they have been one of my favorite for years. I had one burned into my brain as a young kid maybe six or eight years old, it was a Hemi car and I think it was a Hemi car. The car was given to my dad by the owner but passed away before singing the title. He not only lost a good friend but an awesome car. I'm sure the family would have honered it but he never asked and was to upset to ask.

So tell me what I need to know about the 66 Chargers, school me on them. I think the price is ok on it at $8700.00 but it still may be a running project and could get it in my range.

I got MOPAR FEVER :angryfire: and I've had it all my life :headbang:. still kicking myself for selling my 70 Coronet R/T.

383 was offered. JC Whitney sells quarters but they are poor at best. The electrical system is very costly- rotating headlights and dash illumination especially. The fenders, doors and hood are basically the same as Coronet, moulding holes being different. Grille, quarters,roof, back glass, taillight, trunklid, moulding and interior are Charger specific and not many repops available.

One of the more expensive Mopars to restore.AMD makes the floor pans,inner fenders,cowl for the 66-70.The 66 came with 318,361,383,and 426 engines.

Thanks everyone, the body is solid on this one I'm told but will have to look at it. The car was originally a 318 car.

biggest problem areas are:

dash lighting issues, fuel, oil, & temp gauges burned up, tach sender bad, front & rear window seal leaks, rust in trunk floor and behind wheel wells at rear. Rotating headlight motor electrical issues are common as well

these are the most expensive to restore

Floor pans available, rear quarters are made, but they are not correct and are cheap junk

interior parts are almost not available, some outside chrome is being made, and tail lenses are about $500 a set

Bryan (I got 2 of these, I know)

biggest problem areas are:

dash lighting issues, fuel, oil, & temp gauges burned up, tach sender bad, front & rear window seal leaks, rust in trunk floor and behind wheel wells at rear. Rotating headlight motor electrical issues are common as well

these are the most expensive to restore

Floor pans available, rear quarters are made, but they are not correct and are cheap junk

interior parts are almost not available, some outside chrome is being made, and tail lenses are about $500 a set

Bryan (I got 2 of these, I know)

Thank you and it looks like this one is going to be out of my range and it needs a little work but it sounds like a hard car to restore. I hate that because they are some of the best looking cars when done.

...and they rust "different" than other 66/67 B body cars.

...and they rust "different" than other 66/67 B body cars.

He said the moldings were coming off and there was something about the rear wheel housing maybe a 2 inch spot, but it has always been my rule of thumb a 2 inch spot means more unseen rust.

I did find a 69 Charger needing restoration I'm waiting to hear back on it is said its numbers matching. It does need floor pans, trunk pans and qrt panels but it is a 69.

It is not one of my favorite year of charger but I love chargers, I just love mopars.

I have a 67 440 4spd that needs to be restored. It has got to be one of the most complicated cars, at least trim, interior and some electrical made in that period. Having other 67 B bodies which are also impossible to find parts, I was very pleased to find out how many pieces BE&A make. Take your time scrolling through the pages of B-bodies. They make grill surrounds, fender mouthed turn signals (67), rear upper belt line ends, trunk lip, tail light, tail light surrounds, bumper guards, trunk medallion, dash bezel and glove box door. I'm sure I'm forgetting things.
I'm scared to even consider the interior assembly. They are neat cars though, either you love it, or hate it.

Good luck.

I have a 67 440 4spd that needs to be restored. It has got to be one of the most complicated cars, at least trim, interior and some electrical made in that period. Having other 67 B bodies which are also impossible to find parts, I was very pleased to find out how many pieces BE&A make. Take your time scrolling through the pages of B-bodies. They make grill surrounds, fender mouthed turn signals (67), rear upper belt line ends, trunk lip, tail light, tail light surrounds, bumper guards, trunk medallion, dash bezel and glove box door. I'm sure I'm forgetting things.
I'm scared to even consider the interior assembly. They are neat cars though, either you love it, or hate it.

Good luck.

Thanks. I did find a 67 in my area originally a 440 car with a 4spd and right now for the life of me I can't think of what it needed it much at all. I think it runs and may have been on the road last summer but cant remember.

Yeah I really love the long back of them and how the stance is, they just look mean.

I do know of one that is still in the original owners hands in my area its white and black and is taken care of but it is left out and tag all year around and he drives it rain, snow, ice no matter what the weather is.

that one is nice...needs an engine pic instead of 2 of the rear end

Bryan

Good luck with what ever you find to restore. I hope it is a 1st gen so another one is saved. Yes the interior is one of the hardest parts to restore. If you lived in my area i would take you for a ride in my 67 and convence you to get one.

Parts for the 1st gen Chargers can be hard to find but they are out there. There are people that restore the dashes and headlights. These car's are not cheap but what hobbie is cheap? The parts that are not reproduced are in the hands of individuals. If you want a first gen get it. There are two forums and atleast 2 facebook pages just for 66-67 Chargers. There are people that have done everything on these cars. Bryan has manuals on CD that are a life saver.

I over paid for my car to get a clean body. I now have a solid daily driver with no dash (in the garage needing rebuild) that I drive all over the place. Fill up on a regular basis and I have an iphone app for speed. I love the interiors of the first gens. There are lots of them out there but I have yet to see another on the road with me. For that matter I have only seen a few other daily driven Mopars both a bodies and both driven by younger women. Go figure.

There are parts out there just have look a little harder. Its worth it as far as I'm concerned.
That '67 440 4spd would be a good one to check into.

There are parts out there just have look a little harder. Its worth it as far as I'm concerned.
That '67 440 4spd would be a good one to check into.

I want to but I have to have the cash in hand to get it. I tried to trade the Vette for but it was a no go.

Thought I'd add my 2 cents as a 66 owner. Reading your first post was like deja vu. I bought mine last year and was surprised to find a 440 under the hood. A little checking and I realized that it was a 68 power plant. I have to agree about the hideaway headlights and the dash guage illumination being problems. I leave my headlights open or I have to close them manually which has a tendency to pinch the wires unless I'm really careful. The gas guage doesn't work and nothing lights up. As well, not wanting to offend anyone, I've had people tell me what is "incorrect" about my car and how it's not "original". I know there are things that could and should be restored or fixed, but I try not to stress about it. I love drivng it and the way it looks. In the 14 months I've had it, I've only seen one other 66 up hare, and hat was two weeks ago. Anyway, hope things work out for you. The 66 and 67 my not be a spopular as some of the other years, but that fastback looks just gets me every time I see it.

I think most of what everyone has said is true about the first gens. They are the most expensive because stuff isn't reproduced. Parts that are aren't quality (I have a set of those cheap quarters if you need some). That's the main reason I'm going to restomod mine. But, the car is different inside and out. If that's what you want, this is one of the Mopars to have.

Auto Transport Service
Back