• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1966 Charger Torque Converter 727 /426 Need to source one

Stowe

Local time
11:02 AM
Reaction score
Hello
I need some suggestions on a torque converter for my 66 charger with a 426 . 24 Spline. Anyone know where I can source one. looking at around 2500 stall. Not sure what the stock specs were.

I think I have a old nos one. If you would like I can check.

1966 was the last year for the small 19 spline input shaft on 727's. It is hard to find torque converters for these. 1967 and up had larger input shaft and higher spline count. Early 727's can be upgraded for the later torque converter by changing out everything forward of the drive shell. 1971 and newer parts are best because of wider front drum bushing.

Rebuilding automatics for decades always with rebuilt converters, I never had any issues with rebuilt torque converters. Last one I did came from Rock Auto.
Mike

https://gopnh.com/ Precision of New Hampton. They have been in business for 35 years, family owned, and they have a half million sq. ft facility with a million converters in stock. THey are the largest privately owned converter producer/rebuilder in the nation. They can build you what you need.

Last edited:
1966 was the last year for the small 19 spline input shaft on 727's. It is hard to find torque converters for these. 1967 and up had larger input shaft and higher spline count. Early 727's can be upgraded for the later torque converter by changing out everything forward of the drive shell. 1971 and newer parts are best because of wider front drum bushing.
But he did state 24 spline.

Thanks,
This has been done already. I have 24 spline on the 727.

Basically, need a "new Style " 24 spline torque converter for 727. I found would need 10 3/4 with 7/16 bolts. My Block is a late 1966 production. Any guidence would be appreciated.

Basically, need a "new Style " 24 spline torque converter for 727. I found would need 10 3/4 with 7/16 bolts. My Block is a late 1966 production. Any guidence would be appreciated.
Ok so you basically need any converter that size. The 7/16 bolts will be the kicker. Not sure if you can get a hemi flex plate with smaller bolt holes.
Sounds like it will have to be a performance one or a modified stocker.
Where to source one:
Any converter company
Any performance outlet.

I can remember when you could still order Hemi converters at U.A.P., Car Quest, etc. Nowadays, you have to get them custom built by a quality aftermarket company. You are right about shell size and 7/16" torque converter bolts.

Not as easy as one may thing to find the proper converter. Been trying most of the day. I can have one built by Florida Torque converters. A&A transmission in Indy can also make one. Maybe I should take a look at the parts for sale section here.

A&A is a quality operation. They know their $hit.

Auto Transport Service
Back