• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1966 Coronet fuel tank info

ram250098

Local time
8:06 AM
Reaction score
Hey guys need some info on Tanks. I bought a new fuel sender for my 66 and it didn't read on the gauge...checked it and double checked it..so stupid me I figured it was the sender...bought another one..checked it and installed it doesn't read on the gauge. Dropped the tank to have a look..best guess is the float is hanging up on the curve of the tank for the spare tire and not letting it rise.
Question is there different senders for different size tanks..both places I bought the senders from never asked tank size?
Thanks
AL

Is your tank grounded properly??? That is the 3"-long clip that goes on opposite ends of the rubber fuel line that connects the two hard lines, to form a grounded circuit. No ground, no sender output.

Yes I even ran another ground..the sender works great out of the tank..just not in the tank..LOL I wounder if the 5/16 sender is small in length?
AL

did you ground the wire with the key on to see if the gauge deflected towards full either time ?

nThe gauge works and the sender works just not in the tank...it seems the float is not comming up..the float is not leaking..just getting hung up.
Which is why I was wondering if they have different size tanks or senders.
AL

No different size tanks on 66-67 B-bodies. One tank, one sender.

Mine was the opposite, couldn't get the gauge to read with the sender out of the tank, no matter how I grounded the sender. Put it in the tank and it worked. Gauge isn't 100% accurate but its better than nothing.
Chasing these gremlins is a bitch for sure. Good luck.

Thanks for the info..I even bent the float arm to shorten it up and it still will not read..maybe it is an A body tank LOL
AL

clean the hold down ring and the tabs with a wire brush to make sure it is grounded to the tank when the sender is installed in the.tank

The only way I could get a better ground on the tank is if I bury it LOL...I think maybe over time the tank may have caved in someting...everything works outside the tank so it has to be the float..I see all models have the same tank and only difference with sender is the hose size.
AL

One thing you could do to check to see if it's grounding is to tie the float in the full or close to the full position and stick it in. If the gauge doesn't register anymore once it's in the tank, then you are having a ground problem but if it does register, you are having a float issue. I have a 66 Belvedere so I'm familiar with the shape of the tank. It's a hassle but at least it'll let you know what's happening.....hopefully.

Now that would have been smart to do LOL..OH WELL...just ordered an new tank from Rockauto a second ago..mine looked like it was ready to start leaking soon anyway *g*...funny thing it is a tank that is made a few hours from where I live..but it is still cheaper buying in the the states and having it shipped back up here..
Thanks for the idea Cranky I am going to remember that one!
Al

Auto Transport Service
Back