• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Fuel gauge sender location

Triplegreen500

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
7:57 AM
Reaction score
So. My fuel gauge used to work, now it pegs full. I'm guessing a short somewhere, grounding the line and sending full voltage to the gauge. All other gauges work fine.

Where is it on the tank, do I have to drop the tank to get to it? Gonna take it to work tomorrow and toss it on a lift after hours to see if I can chase it down, just figured I'd ask beforehand.... thanks!

oer-ft6009a_xl.jpg

Sweeeet thank you. I was hoping i wouldn't have to drop the tank. Since the gauge went wonky I've been filling it every time I take it out...hopefully I can access it in the car tomorrow!

....I really need to get a lift at the house....

Also... Just to let you know. The wire for the fuel sender is in the driver side kick panel and runs to the back. Its in a 6 wire connector. Anyhow, it runs under the carpet all the way under the rear seat and its just behind the inner wheel well inside the car. Its dark blue in color. I made the wire blue in this schematic.

69ChargerA.JPG

I'm about to try this same "trick" on Fred, since I finally succeeded in obtaining an original 3/8" sending
unit (you all know about all the garbage aftermarket re-pops, right?).
It's easy with the tank out - now I'm going to try it with the tank in the car.
Visions of bathing in gas are dancing in my head...

My honest suspicion on mine is, a piece of the rusted trunk floor fell onto the sender and is shorting it out. It was working great the first day of Carlisle. Second day, it worked/didn't work/worked/didn't work, third day (and still today) it simply pegs full. Only thing that changed in that time was (for the Charger, anyway) a whole lot of miles, driving to and from the fairgrounds.

I've been a bad dad, and when you lift the trunk mat you can see quite a bit of the fuel tank. The floor is on the list...but admittedly a low priority.

If it isn't a debris problem, I guess I'll start hunting for a new sender. I'll take my multimeter to be safe, I guess....

Welp...it's the sender. Unplug, gauge drops to E. Plug in, spikes past F to the pin.

Who's a good vendor? Fuel system on the car is only 4 years old...

I know there are no known good reproductions of the late 60's b-body 3/8" sending unit out there....
None. Nada. Zilch. Well known amongst the faithful.
Perhaps the Charger is a different sender though?

Everything I'm finding says 5/16, or (I'm guessing for performance applications) 1/2”...

Looks like OAR makes two versions of the 5/16" unit, one around $60, and one ("stainless") around $55. Stainless one looks to have a cheaper sending unit setup though...

The "regular" one:
1694875263427.png

and the "stainless" one:
1694875300582.png

Both are 5/16" single outlet, both made by OER...but stainless is $5 cheaper for some reason? (pricing info from Classic Industries' website)

Welp...it's the sender. Unplug, gauge drops to E. Plug in, spikes past F to the pin.

Who's a good vendor? Fuel system on the car is only 4 years old...
The new senders are bad news. THey aren't made like the original design and most are very inaccurate. I used a Spectra in mine from Gas Tanks.com. It works but just ok. Yours should be 5/16. Most Mopars were. 1968-70 B-Body 5/16-gastanks.com Reuse your old lock ring. Most of the new ones won't seal. (too thin)

I hear that there are those who can rebuild and recalibrate original senders, although I do not know who does it. Perhaps someone will chime in.

I hear that there are those who can rebuild and recalibrate original senders, although I do not know who does it. Perhaps someone will chime in.

Auto Transport Service
Back