• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1966 Dodge Coronet/Charger with factory four way emergency flasher?

Jeremiah

Local time
5:39 PM
Reaction score
Does anyone have a car equipped with the optional four way emergency flasher? I need to know what color the wires are coming from the switch and (if you have one) where the black wire goes (I am guessing straight to the hot side of the fuse box).

Thank you,

Jeremiah

Jeremiah, I have the 4-way flasher in my 67 Charger, actually about to try it with a new heavy duty flasher relay.

I'll take a photo of the stuff and let you know.

Martin

Charger 4-way flasher

Jeremiah,
I will try to attach a photo of the 4-flasher switch. I don't have any black wire in mine.
- Pink from light switch-> flasher relay
- Red from flasher relay -> flasher switch
- the 3 other -> the flasher switch you can see in the photo.

Let me know if you have more questions.
Martin

Attachments

• P1151678.jpg
    P1151678.jpg
    26 KB · Views: 1,076
Thank you very, very, very much. I will take another look and compare what I have.

Again, I really appreciate the picture and the info!

66 flasher assemblies were different than the 67 versions....wire colors are not the same

I have a 66 complete unit out in the garage..but by the time the weekend comes, I will ferget to look at it

Bryan

See about moving this info to our new 66-67 Charger forum and start posting your Charger info there.

See about moving this info to our new 66-67 Charger forum and start posting your Charger info there.

There is a 66-67 sections here now?

UPDATE: Well I'll be dipped...we do have our own forum! Sorry haven't been around in a while.

This is what I have...I think.

well, kinda...you have the 4 way flasher system with toggle switch, but the little red round thingy is the e-brake light socket...which was also optional

Bryan

Bryan if you look at the diagram the light in the picture is wired to turn on with the flasher switch. It does appear to be the same as an e-brake light. I now realize that I am missing the flasher portion of the circuit. I will get the appropriate connector and get this thing back together!

Mystery solved.....:icon_thumright:

I will take some pictures when I get the wiring harness re-wrapped.

then what you have pictured is not for a 66 Charger. When you turn on the four way flashers in the Chargers, there is no red light to tell you it's on. The four way flasher system is no way connected to the e-brake light. You have the flasher in that picture

Bryan

According to the 67 wiring diagram the left & right turn indicators will flash in the dash when the 4-way flasher is activated (I haven't myself tested this function yet).
The pink from the light switch is connected to the stop light switch, and continuing to the flasher relay (black in the wiring diagram, pink wire in my car). The other wire (red) from the flasher relay goes to the flasher switch.

then what you have pictured is not for a 66 Charger. When you turn on the four way flashers in the Chargers, there is no red light to tell you it's on. The four way flasher system is no way connected to the e-brake light. You have the flasher in that picture

Bryan

You are wrong. It clearly functions as I described per the picture, at least for that particular kit.

As far as factory/dealer installed stuff that may be different. And for the last time (lol) I am working on a CORONET.

Are you feeling ok?

- - - Updated - - -

According to the 67 wiring diagram the left & right turn indicators will flash in the dash when the 4-way flasher is activated (I haven't myself tested this function yet).
The pink from the light switch is connected to the stop light switch, and continuing to the flasher relay (black in the wiring diagram, pink wire in my car). The other wire (red) from the flasher relay goes to the flasher switch.

You are correct for 67 and 66. The add-on four way flashers piggy back to the light green, tan, and white wire. The light green wire is the front left turn signal, which also has the in-dash turn signal indicator connected to it. The left front turn signal is the tan wire with the in-dash directional connected to it. The white wire is hooked to the output side of the brake lamp switch to activate both rear lamps. The last wire is black and goes to a flasher and then fusible link and then to the fuse box.

In the kit I posted the RED LIGHT is connected to the back of the flasher housing thing. I am not sure if it would flash or not based on the diagram. It has nothing to do with the ebrake. That is a different wiring harness.

well, OK...but the title of your thread asked for " 66 Coronet/Charger" flashers...

and no 66 Charger or Coronet had 4 way flashers installed at the "factory"...all were dealer installed,

the unit you have posted is not for a 66 Charger, maybe for a Coronet

Bryan

well, OK...but the title of your thread asked for " 66 Coronet/Charger" flashers...

and no 66 Charger or Coronet had 4 way flashers installed at the "factory"...all were dealer installed,

the unit you have posted is not for a 66 Charger, maybe for a Coronet

Bryan

Brian, I really value you insight on these posts and appreciate you taking the time to help shed light on my various questions. You have been very helpful over the years. Please try to keep an open mind on this stuff and try not to be so grumpy. : )

- - - Updated - - -

Not according to the 1966 Dodge Dealer Data Book page IV and mine DOES have them. See link below:
http://www.hamtramck-historical.com/images/dealerships/DealershipDataBook/1966/66_Charger0004.jpg

Would you be so kind to look under the dash and see if you have a) a wiring harness that plugs in between the main dash wiring harness and the steering column harness and b) a wire with an inline fuse coming from the fuse marked ACC in the fuse box?

Need a 4 way flasher harness for my 1966 Charger? Anyone?

4way flashers were dealer installed after 1/1/66 Fed mandate. My car delivered April 66 is dealer installed spaghetti, I looked at it didn't work and didn't touch it. Don't any 66 had assembly installed 4 ways, my opinion.

4way flashers were dealer installed after 1/1/66 Fed mandate. My car delivered April 66 is dealer installed spaghetti, I looked at it didn't work and didn't touch it. Don't any 66 had assembly installed 4 ways, my opinion.
My '66 Hardtop was built in Aug of '66 and does not have "4-ways"

Auto Transport Service
Back