• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1966 Plymouth Belvedere that had a 318 poly motor-Replacing it with a 440

Shawnlord

Local time
4:08 AM
Reaction score

have a 1966 Plymouth Belvedere that had a 318 poly motor and I am Replacing it with a 440 that came out of a RV. I bought motor mount and engine plates for the 440 bolt into the K member. When installing the motor the driver side goes in place like it should but,passenger side does not fit in...

When I had my 66 Ply Sat, original a 318, I replaced it with a 383 BB. I got new motor mount rubbers and the block plates, it it fit right in as the K-member is the same for the 318 and the BB's. Not sure about an RV 440 but I would think that it would also work. If not, maybe check with Scumacher and get heir off-set ones and see if that will fix it...Good luck...cr8crshr/Bill:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::usflag::usflag::usflag:

Pictures of why/what won't fit would go a LONG way to someone helping you out with the issue!

Bella was a 318 auto originally and now 500 stroker with ZF manual and all that was required was a bellhousing!

have a 1966 Plymouth Belvedere that had a 318 poly motor and I am Replacing it with a 440 that came out of a RV. I bought motor mount and engine plates for the 440 bolt into the K member. When installing the motor the driver side goes in place like it should but,passenger side does not fit in...

K member is the same betrween them .
so its either the mounts or the brackets . OR maybe have them mounted on the block wrong

RV block mounting bosses on the block is no different than any other B / RB engine

And be sure to circle back to the Welcome Wagon section to introduce yourself and your ride. Folks here would love to see it and welcome you aboard!

Rubber isolators from your 318 mounts will bolt to your steel 440 plates and the whole thing will drop right in. Just don't mix up pieces from side to side. I have done a few of these swaps over the years with no fitment problems.

not sure if RV's have different exhaust manifolds but I could see that being a problem trying to drop it in with them installed!

K member is the same betrween them .
so its either the mounts or the brackets . OR maybe have them mounted on the block wrong

RV block mounting bosses on the block is no different than any other B / RB engine
Is there a different rubber mounts.The ones I have look like a Chevrolet motor mount kind of

Pictures would help, but I can say from experience since I completed a similar swap a few months ago with a 383, you want to get the drivers-side in first then do the passenger side which is a royal PITA and will fight you a bit going in. I did, however, use some aftermarket copies of the Schumacher big block motor mount plates and not NOS parts. This could have been why.

My advice would be to use a good pry bar to manipulate the rubber isolater a bit to get her in. Once I did that mine dropped in. There are alignment pins on the motor mounts that fit into the K member so that is probably what is hanging up and causing your issue.

Also, depending on how you are supporting the engine with the crane it may not be completely level and causing this issue as well.

Good Luck!

Auto Transport Service
Back