• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1967 charger 383, motor/trans swap

LJ Dorsett

Local time
8:44 PM
Reaction score
Hi, everyone.

Finally decided to dive into the car after it's been sitting for quite sometime.

I want to stay true to the 383, but the factory block would be going on its 3rd rebuild and I would like something less tired.

I've looked for 383 Mopar crates but have found nothing.

Any recommendations? I would like to keep the cost down

383s seem to be relatively plentiful. I’d just go find one and rebuild that. If it’s running (turning) when you start the cost shouldn’t be awful. If there are parts shortage issues seems like you could even harvest parts from the current 383 with lower wear ones from the new donor (block, crank).

I would keep factory block nice and seasoned , what was the last oversize . ???

Need to check bore size first and see what it is. If that is the numbers matching block I would stay with it. They can be sleeved.

Also introduce yourself on the Welcome Wagon forum and load up some pictures or you will be seeing this,
:xscuseless:
Welcome aboard.

Engine has gotten water in it and has been seized for quite a long time. I'd like to throw something in there to get it going and look into the block later.

Screenshot_20210829-205142_Facebook.jpg

Sure makes sense. In ‘66 there’s no “numbers matching” anyway.

Yes.

Careful of the exhaust, it’s 1/2” per side farther apart and 1/2” higher. If the exhaust is close to the tranny crossmember today it may hit with the RB block.

Auto Transport Service
Back