• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1967 Coronet with factory AC questions

Billccm

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
12:23 PM
Reaction score
Hello

I've owned two 1968 and one 1969 B Body mopars. Recently bought a 1967 Coronet and have realized quite a few differences when it comes to the under dash layout and interior electrical.

So, today's project was to jump out the ammeter. The underhood was straightforward and easy like my previous B Body mopars. Getting to the ammeter terminals looks like major surgery time.

The ashtray and lighter are removed and I can clearly see the ammeter terminals. The AC and defrost ductwork are in the way.

So, I am asking the following questions:

1) Is there an easy way to disconnect and remove the ductwork without pulling the entire AC Heater box?
2) Does the cluster pull out from the dash easily?
3) Where is the fuse box? (embarrassing question).

Appreciate the help!

Take care, Bill

Dropping the steering wheel down some and pulling the cluster out enough to do what you need may be the easiest way, but you don't have to pull the heat/AC box either way. Just remember 50+ ductwork is fragile.

20210128_152113.jpg

I found the fuse box (above the park brake release).

It's a Sunday night so I just wired the voltmeter to the accessory fuse and called it a night. The ammeter is somewhat shunted so I'm good for now.

Another question: does the AC Heater box have to come out to pull the radio?

Thanks (especially @Jerry Hall)

I found the fuse box (above the park brake release).

It's a Sunday night so I just wired the voltmeter to the accessory fuse and called it a night. The ammeter is somewhat shunted so I'm good for now.

Another question: does the AC Heater box have to come out to pull the radio?

Thanks (especially @Jerry Hall)
No, you pull the cluster. I needed help with supporting everything while putting the cluster back in. You have to get your AC controls and radio aligned while putting that assembly back in.

Nothing I did on this 67 Coronet 500 required removal of the heater/AC box. I had to pull the glovebox liner also for some things. The 67's are easier for me than the 68-70 dash items, but by the same token I've done more of them. I have only fooled with AC on a few.

I bypassed one of my 67's ammeter from under the dash, not removing anything.

Of course "that position" is what it is, but the nut removal wire swap, and re-installation was straightforward simple, even if not 100% visible.

i've done it with cluster in place, if you have bucket seats take the drivers seat out whole lot easier on the body

If the AC stuff wasn't there I could see this being an easy under dash kind of thing. Looks impossible to me with the AC and Defroster duct in place. I can't even get my pinky finger in there.

the duct for the drivers side is a fexible corugated looking tube. It can be removed easily

worst case remove the center dash tube / duct from the box.

BUT, yes. Pulling the drivers seat might make it a whole lot easier to get into THAT position

Auto Transport Service
Back