• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1967 Rear Window

Max440

Local time
3:13 PM
Reaction score
I have a 1967 Satellite I pulled the rear glass out of to repair a piece of the rear window frame if you will. When I pulled the glass I took off the stainless then used some wire to cut the seal. There was not a rubber gasket there just black urethane or something like that. I looked up in my service manual but it did not show a window seal.. So I assume use some 3/8 ribbon and reset the rear glass, snap in the stainless and you are all set. Then I was on Steele's web site and noticed they had a rear window gasket.
So my question is : is there a gasket there or just some urethane ribbon or sealant of some sort.

Thanks for any input

It is a gasket, someone may have used some urethane to stop a leak problem.

There is a gasket. And then usually a bunch of urethane or butyl to keep the gasket from leaking. Make sure the body work did not just remove rust, but retained the original shape of the window opening. Any minor variance will cause it to leak. Make sure the trim clip screw holes are sealed before the gasket goes in.
This is a likely source of leaks and you can't get to this after the gasket and rear window go in. My gasket had to be glued in place to keep it positioned when the window went in. The gasket is a string install type where you pull the string around the glass to seat the glass in the gasket. I find there are no automotive glass shops who know how to do this install correctly. Most will state that up front and not even try.

There is a gasket. And then usually a bunch of urethane or butyl to keep the gasket from leaking. Make sure the body work did not just remove rust, but retained the original shape of the window opening. Any minor variance will cause it to leak. Make sure the trim clip screw holes are sealed before the gasket goes in.
This is a likely source of leaks and you can't get to this after the gasket and rear window go in. My gasket had to be glued in place to keep it positioned when the window went in. The gasket is a string install type where you pull the string around the glass to seat the glass in the gasket. I find there are no automotive glass shops who know how to do this install correctly. Most will state that up front and not even try.

I am aware of the string install which would be the case on the windshield. The window channels are spot on so they will work. Windshield front lower corners were pretty rotted under the gasket and evident was leaking for a long time. Rear window not too bad but as stated did not have a gasket in there. My 1967 shop manual does not call for one thus the confusion and me posting on the forum. But Steele makes one so if its supposed to be there I will get it in. In town we hade a auto glass show that could do old school stuff. I used them in the past but I found out today they no longer do auto glass - thanks for the response

Auto Transport Service
Back