• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1968 318 engine + 904 transmission - what's it worth?

TTSaleen

Local time
5:39 PM
Reaction score
Right out of my 1968 Dodge Charger.
318 engine with 2 barrel carb
Runs smooth and does not smoke.
88k miles on it. Never rebuilt according to my records.
I have videos on my youtube driving it around.
I pulled it last September and it's sitting on a pallet in the corner of my shop under a plastic cover.
Here's a link to the video the day I pulled it out ---

I pulled it out during my recent Gen 3 Hemi swap.
So I have the entire engine still attached to the factory 904 transmission (shifts fine, no slip).
It has the following I am aware of -
2 barrel carb was replaced with a new unit in the 1990's.
Ignition was upgraded by me when I got it to electronic (removed the points) along with a new coil and wires.
Includes all accessories including water pump, power steering pump, alternator (new upgrade a couple years ago), air compressor, factory manifolds, etc.

I have no idea what this is worth.
Located outside of Raleigh, NC.
Let me know if you are interested or if you have a general idea of what this is worth.

Thank you,
Ryan

IMG_1800.jpg
IMG_1804.jpg

When I pulled the 318/904 2V out of my '69 Sport Satellite, it was complete from carb to pan, everything. It ran fine, maybe 110K miles on it? I had it listed for sale forever and no one wanted it. It had all of the A/C components as well. I think for someone it would have been great, but I couldn't get any interest. Not saying that's the same thing you'll see, but folks just don't seem to have a lot of love for a 318. Granted, maybe coming from a Charger will have some added cache?

9.2:1 motor?

When I pulled the 318/904 2V out of my '69 Sport Satellite, it was complete from carb to pan, everything. It ran fine, maybe 110K miles on it? I had it listed for sale forever and no one wanted it. It had all of the A/C components as well. I think for someone it would have been great, but I couldn't get any interest. Not saying that's the same thing you'll see, but folks just don't seem to have a lot of love for a 318. Granted, maybe coming from a Charger will have some added cache?
Me and a friend of mine parted out also a 69 Sport Satellite. This one was a 4 door. It too had a 318 with air. We gave that engine away to a kid that wanted to go from a slant 6 to a v-8 in his Duster. Hard to get money for 318's. Those are just given away. You may get lucky and get maybe $500 for everything. The thing is very few people are beating the door for 318's. They are saving their money and instead building a big block or doing what you are doing; going with a Gen 3 Hemi engine.

I'm curious what you get for it. I'm swapping the 318/904 out of my '69 Coronet for a 360/518

Dang!
Haha! Actually if I had to put a price on it, I was hoping it was worth at least $500 for the combo.
I mean, I get it cause I just did the G3 Hemi as well and 318 ain't the most sought after combo.
But trying to find a running engine and shifting transmission would be hard pressed at that price point.

Thanks for helping me understand the market and lack of demand for these.
So since I need to put a price, I'll say $500 picked up.
I'll even throw in the pallet it is sitting on! Haha.

Ryan

I have 3 of them. They’re not even good boat anchors. Too heavy. :)

I have 3 of them. They’re not even good boat anchors. Too heavy. :)
Haha.
I had forgotten that in that corner I have the original gas tank, radiator, and driveshaft.
I will include all of that stuff for $500!

Get it while it's hot!!! LOL!

I don’t know, but for some this may or may not be dumb. When I put a 360 into my Satellite, I had my trans rebuilt, had the 318 heads ported, gave the parts car transmission away. The heads are now on my 360 (runs great) and the original 318 motor is tucked away on a stand in my garage. I’m thinking that if I, or my heirs were ever to sell the car to a “purist” that wanted the original motor to the car, it would be worth more to that person than the motor is worth now.

I don’t know, but for some this may or may not be dumb. When I put a 360 into my Satellite, I had my trans rebuilt, had the 318 heads ported, gave the parts car transmission away. The heads are now on my 360 (runs great) and the original 318 motor is tucked away on a stand in my garage. I’m thinking that if I, or my heirs were ever to sell the car to a “purist” that wanted the original motor to the car, it would be worth more to that person than the motor is worth now.
No I get it. There are folks that have told me the same thing that having the original engine with the car would be great for the future owner one day. But in reality does any future owner really care about a 318? Now if it was a 383/440 then absolutely, but if that was the case, I would have rebuilt that and kept in the car. So I agree it might have some sentimental value if a future owner wanted it, but in reality I just want it out of my garage so I have that space back.
Plus if they really are worthless then finding one in the future should be pretty easy and affordable.
I figured someone local or on here might have an old Dodge/Chrysler and needed a V8 to get an old project car up and running and this would make a perfect way to do that on the cheap.

My point is original has to mean something. “Finding one in the future” , not so much. Sentimental value is not what I am talking about. That being said, I am also needing to get rid of some things that I probably will never use.
Btw, was that a/c working. Mine quit,Will have to get into it after another project or two, to find out what the problem is.

Last edited:
You may consider scrap price if you can get someone to pick it up without paying them.

I wish you were local, i have been trying to find a 318 or 360 for my '62 (not all of us want to make race cars) and i can't find anything here for under $600 that isn't disassembled and looks like it was in a swamp for 20 years...

BTW.. some serious hatred for 318's here... while it's not my favorite motor, it's not like they can't run well..

I'll take all the 318s yall wanna throw away complete to bare blocks. Close or in Wisconsin

I’d go 200 for the motor I don’t care about the trans but the shipping would kill the deal

I wish you were local, i have been trying to find a 318 or 360 for my '62 (not all of us want to make race cars) and i can't find anything here for under $600 that isn't disassembled and looks like it was in a swamp for 20 years...

BTW.. some serious hatred for 318's here... while it's not my favorite motor, it's not like they can't run well..

I would take it as well .

Auto Transport Service
Back