• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1968 383HP motor and trans

Kultin

Local time
6:47 PM
Reaction score
Is there any interest or value than a regular motor and trans? Motor is complete with dual snorkel air cleaner and transmission, however it is rusty stuck and valley pan rusted through. It was out of a 1968 station wagon. If there is any interest I can take pictures and get numbers. The car is long gone into beer cans, which i tried to save. Plan is to pull the trans and have it built for race car. Located in N E Texas.

Even if engine is junk, the manifolds, carb, pulleys, brackets, and other accessories have value... certainly the dual snorkel...pics would be very helpful

Even if engine is junk, the manifolds, carb, pulleys, brackets, and other accessories have value... certainly the dual snorkel...pics would be very helpful
OK I'll get pictures and numbers. I just figured it is a sought after year and also HP stuff.

Im curious about an HP engine in a wagon. Was that an option or is it a swap?

Im curious about an HP engine in a wagon. Was that an option or is it a swap?
I believe it was optioned. Even the side said 383 commando on the fender which I kept. Also had a roof rack and few other options. I did have a photo of the car but lost it when my phone broke. The owners manual that was in the glove box was in great condition which I still have. I really wish I could have bought the whole car.

Can you discern a VIN Stamp on the flange where the bellhousing mounts to the engine next to the oil sending plug?

Also what is stamped on the block forward of the passenger side head?

Thanks

1000000553.jpg

received_1221232868001407.jpeg
received_233496910864606.jpeg

I had to go all the way back to January 2019 to find these on messenger. Sadly these are the only pictures I took because we were in a hurry, they were about to crush it. Wish I would have saved the whole thing or even more stuff off from it.

Can you discern a VIN Stamp on the flange where the bellhousing mounts to the engine next to the oil sending plug?

Also what is stamped on the block forward of the passenger side head?

Thanks
Yes when I get a chance I will. Probably be tonight

I believe it was optioned. Even the side said 383 commando on the fender which I kept. Also had a roof rack and few other options. I did have a photo of the car but lost it when my phone broke. The owners manual that was in the glove box was in great condition which I still have. I really wish I could have bought the whole car.
There is no 383-4bbl HP 335 horse assembly available in a 68 wagon. Plus, it looks like this car had a/c. Also not available on 68 HP assembly.

The only 68 383 HP 335 horse assemblies available in 68 B body were in Road Runners, which did not use the term Commando, and Super Bees without A/C.

We know this from broadcast sheets.

On line decoders and sources will return conflicting and incorrect info. All 383-4 HP cars have H VINs. Not all H VINs are HP cars.

the 330 Horse power four barrel was available an option though, same engine as in charger or sport satellite.
I owned a 68 Chrysler wagon with the 330HP version back in 1976

That would be a great block to get as well,as they are 10:0 to 1 compression engines just like the 335hp version.
overall of all the mopar engines I really enjoy that engine in my 68 Charger,,,,,very responsive, reliable, and smooth and as fast as you really need to go.

also check the PN on the trans, that is a step up from the two barrel engine.

Last edited:
Intake 2806301 (6x12)
Water pump housing 2780987
Tag on carb 440 1S (214 01)
Base of carb H7 4401S

20231212_191142.jpg

20231212_185411.jpg

20231212_185341.jpg

20231212_185220.jpg

Very interesting find. Im not versed enough to tell whether or not it original engine. But it sure is a good find. Curious how much are you going to ask for the engine?

carbs unlimited says 4401 carb is 1968 with a manual trans.

the trans 2892031 is 1968 A,B,and C body four Barrel engine.that same transmission is in my 68 383 GTS dart

carbs unlimited says 4401 carb is 1968 with a manual trans.
I seen that too, seen another place said automatic. I believe everything is original, even the torque converter

Very interesting find. Im not versed enough to tell whether or not it original engine. But it sure is a good find. Curious how much are you going to ask for the engine?
On regular big blocks that I have and are fully dressed I have been asking $750 to local people who ask. Of course no one has bought anything. Only sold a 440 short block for $300 just because it was on a stand

After research and looking up part numbers. I believe it is a performance 383 with HP stuff just not stamped as HP motor. I am no guru though

Bust open the valve covers. Dampers on the valve springs would tell me its HP spec.

Auto Transport Service
Back