• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1968 Big Block Angled Plug Heads

turbine68rt

Turbine Bronze Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
8:08 PM
Reaction score
Here's something that's not seen very often. 1968 tilt cab 700 series with a 361 2 barrel and angled plug heads similar to small blocks. Probably geared more towards durability than performance.
20231216_121904.jpg
20231223_130147.jpg
20231223_130204.jpg
20231223_130256.jpg

Industrial motor. 2 flavors, 361/413.
Not the same as the HD motorhome 440s.

Pretty kool! I see the starter relay is mounted on a special bracket on the back of the engine. The B/RB is my favorite engine from the post war V8’s. A timeless design.

Found this on Moparts .....

They were industrial heads & used a longer pushrod. Different heads, intake & exhaust manifolds, water pump, cam and cam drive.

1703415219165.png

1703415238736.png

We have a industrial 361, smoothest running motor I’ve ever heard, factory gear drive, huge water pump
IMG_3067.jpeg

The industrial heads have a thick area as "extra" on the bottom. You can see in RC's post how recessed/giant the combustion chamber is. If I recall correctly from last time I looked them up, the compression ratio is like.... 7. Might vary from years, they made a 413 for a long while too. I think Chrysler used a short block from whatever year and slapped all the specific industrial stuff on. There is little to scavenge from these, no one wants a 361, most would much rather a 440 than a 413 for a shortblock. but if you have a pristine one, swapping the top end off and front accessories makes for a cheap "rebuild".

Old tractors also run super smooth. Old tractors also have a compression of like 6. Find a video of an idleing Oliver with a 6 cyl. waukesha from the early 60's (gas) or a proper running IH 4 cyl gas from the 50's like an A or a cub, even an H. Long running, high rpm constant load calls for a different design approach.(edit, I should clarify, open throttle. Tractors run at 2000 rpm) In the auto world, Chrysler did it best going back to the early hemis powering sirens etc. I think it's why 318's made it into military and such. Wide open running under hard load for hours on end didn;t phase them.

Old tractors also run super smooth. Old tractors also have a compression of like 6. Find a video of an idleing Oliver with a 6 cyl. waukesha from the early 60's (gas) or a proper running IH 4 cyl gas from the 50's like an A or a cub, even an H. Long running, high rpm constant load calls for a different design approach.(edit, I should clarify, open throttle. Tractors run at 2000 rpm) In the auto world, Chrysler did it best going back to the early hemis powering sirens etc. I think it's why 318's made it into military and such. Wide open running under hard load for hours on end didn;t phase them.
I ran Ford's version of this application in the 1970s. It was what started out as a Ford Falcon inline six. Same operating parameters as a tractor, full rpms for hours at a shot running the pneumatic blowers to unload dry bulk tankers. Those engines were tough, the only time they failed was if we ran one out of coolant letting it run on the way to a delivery, to avoid the cold start problem in winter (wind chill would turn the engine oil to tar). I carried a spare starter with me in the truck, and changed them often in the field. Early in the game a parts guy at a Ford dealership told me to just use a '78 Granada starter in the future, rather than trying to find an "industrial six" in the parts book. Engine shown in picture was on a 1976 Fruehauf dry bulk tanker, which I was pulling with my first truck, a '71 International Transtar, in 1979, when I was 26.

00D8832F-17A0-4A6B-8CCD-778E413B9B7D.jpeg

Found this on Moparts .....

They were industrial heads & used a longer pushrod. Different heads, intake & exhaust manifolds, water pump, cam and cam drive.

View attachment 1578721

View attachment 1578722

[/URL]
MOST, IF NOT ALL industrial engines were built to mid RPM high load operation and had low compression ratios to operate on low octane fuel.....sometimes they used SODIUM FILLED exhaust valve stems for better heat dissipation characteristics AND usually had exhaust valve rotators for better exhaust valve seat snd face angle wear......industrial engines are somewhat unique.....sometimes the block casting used a higher percentage of nickel in the alloy for strength.......just taking out loud......
BOB RENTON

MOST, IF NOT ALL industrial engines were built to mid RPM high load operation and had low compression ratios to operate on low octane fuel.....sometimes they used SODIUM FILLED exhaust valve stems for better heat dissipation characteristics AND usually had exhaust valve rotators for better exhaust valve seat snd face angle wear......industrial engines are somewhat unique.....sometimes the block casting used a higher percentage of nickel in the alloy for strength.......just taking out loud......
BOB RENTON
I reside smack dab in the
middle of oil country.
Industrial built 440's are
very common here, used
as powerplants for pumps
and Jacks.
As a reference, none are
stamped with identifying
numbers, and all are painted
a dove gray color, though
the blocks and heads do