• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1968 charger frame rails

440satellite

Local time
4:38 PM
Reaction score
ok guys, I've found a project that needs rear frame rails replaced. the price is right for this car; but tell me straight up, can frame rails be replaced in a two car garage or is this definitely a job for someone who has years of experience?

thanks,

Don

It can be done but it is a very big job. What else does it need besides rails?. wheelhouses?, trunk floor?. Could you get away with only replacing sections of the rails?. More inf or pics would help answer that question. Do you have the proper tools?

They CAN be, yes.........BUT, very careful attention needs to be paid to getting the car positioned properly for welding, so that it is not "twisted" in any way.

Generally, the rear crossmember is also shot when the frame rails need replacing, and possibly the spring shackle frames........make sure to check them all out carefully.....and remember to measure 3 times, and cut/weld once.

Block the unibody from the front to the rear midsection and use shims to perfectly level the beast before you begin the work. A precise and clean cut needs to be done where the new rails "join" to the existing rails......a plasma cutter is great for this job (or a "Cobra" torch....much cheaper, and very accurate cuts), or a circular cutter (a little more difficult, but it works well).

You can do it if you apply yourself.

Yeah, you can do it yourself, is the trunk pans shot too? If they are bad, cut 'em out, and get better access to the frame rails. Do one at a time; meaning cut one out, either completely, and replace the one, then do the other one, measure many, many times, tack weld them in, re-measure, then do the other, same way! Good luck; pics?

It can be done but it is a very big job. What else does it need besides rails?. wheelhouses?, trunk floor?. Could you get away with only replacing sections of the rails?. More inf or pics would help answer that question. Do you have the proper tools?

yes, needs trunk pan too, and now possibly the front driver's rail as well.

Tools won't be a problem, I've just never tackled a project this large.

thanks

Don

They CAN be, yes.........BUT, very careful attention needs to be paid to getting the car positioned properly for welding, so that it is not "twisted" in any way.

Generally, the rear crossmember is also shot when the frame rails need replacing, and possibly the spring shackle frames........make sure to check them all out carefully.....and remember to measure 3 times, and cut/weld once.

Block the unibody from the front to the rear midsection and use shims to perfectly level the beast before you begin the work. A precise and clean cut needs to be done where the new rails "join" to the existing rails......a plasma cutter is great for this job (or a "Cobra" torch....much cheaper, and very accurate cuts), or a circular cutter (a little more difficult, but it works well).

You can do it if you apply yourself.

thanks for the encouragement, much appreciated!

Yeah, you can do it yourself, is the trunk pans shot too? If they are bad, cut 'em out, and get better access to the frame rails. Do one at a time; meaning cut one out, either completely, and replace the one, then do the other one, measure many, many times, tack weld them in, re-measure, then do the other, same way! Good luck; pics?

sounds good, I've tried to paste in the link for the car in a general reply, hope it works

Don

Refer to mine and Donny's (and likely others who are posting pics of there progress) for tips and reference. There are some talented craftsmen on this sight and all are willing to help fellow enthusiasts.
Good luck!!

Refer to mine and Donny's (and likely others who are posting pics of there progress) for tips and reference. There are some talented craftsmen on this sight and all are willing to help fellow enthusiasts.
Good luck!!

wow! I just checked out your junkyard dog pics, no pain no gain I guess!

Auto Transport Service
Back