• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1968 Dodge Charger 426 Restoration

Michael Kocan

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
2:20 AM
Reaction score
Hello everyone, I do not post much, however I have an interesting project. I bought about 30 years ago saving it from the crusher. While looking for Mopar parts in a local salvage yard I saw this B body roofline through the weeds and had to look. Upon inspection I found it to be a 1968 426 Charger. Pennsylvania car originally from Erie P.A.The Hemi was missing and someone welded big block mounts over the 426 mounts. Green on green basic model with only power steering as an option. Rusty rear frame rails that I need to build a frame jig for replacement/alignment. The rest of the body is ok. I have most of the rear sheetmetal NOS Chrysler thanks to Bob Horman who has been helping me with all these needful things. Also of interest is the engine that I have planned for this. Standard bore 1990's Mopar Performance block with an Edelbrock 2052 top end kit. The engine is with Nick's Garage and will be featured in the next few weeks.The fender tag will be posted as soon as I find it. Enough for now. Thanks. Kocan

7F865A0D-36BC-47B1-B05A-9A9F841008FC.jpeg

2055A9D3-4284-4C24-9899-C8CC7EDF374B.jpeg

A4D65C45-9499-40DA-8DB0-98D03AAE40AF.jpeg

9C6D69FF-6B75-4931-B942-7A0C1F3F0241.jpeg

A48F2272-B1DC-4466-8F93-EF58200F205F.jpeg

6CF590B9-BA25-4F2F-8764-C8FF107B810D_1_201_a.jpeg

B58AC7D4-EE56-4CE3-83D7-98C97AF9EA98.jpeg

Whew! That makes my rust allergy kick in. You are a brave man!
Mike

That sucker is crusty for certain, but I am with you and would tackle the restoration of it just because of what it is. And kudos to Bob for helping you find the NOS pieces it deserves.

Damn fine booger welds on that motor mount conversion... :fool:
Good thing is all the sheet metal you'll need to bring that baby back from the dead is available today, days of scrounging salvage yards for parts is past. Best of luck! Hope to see a J code 68 Charger back on the road :thumbsup:

Nice project. No such thing as a parts car 68-70 Chargers these days. Luckily, AMD can help save that car.

Hello all, Thanks for the thumbs up and messages. If it wasn't for it being a 426 car I probably would have left it way back then. Yes it has rust and I am fortunate in having found much of the major items as NOS Chrysler. Still more to go although they are few and far between. I bought some storage totes and am going through boxes of NOS and used items that I haven't looked at in years, separating E body and B body items in order to see what I have and don't and also to find the fender tag. It is here somewhere. On the engine at Nick's Garage he may start on it this Friday on the live show. Now don't confuse my standard bore and stroke Mopar Performance block with the Legend 541 stroker that he started assembling on this weeks Monday evening show 2\20\24. Both of this engines will feature the Edelbrock top end kit and the only difference in them will of course be displacement. This should be a nice comparison in HP and torque. I elected not to bore and stroke a new standard block as it seemed unnecessary. Once I gather together all or most of what I have I will post an update. Oh, and Bob Horman has helped with much more than the rear sheetmetal. Not only other specific Charger items but also in his knowledge on these car. He has been a great help and continues to do so. Enough for now. Thunder Road!! Kocan

03C898F8-37D8-422D-92CB-BD039C2FFD9B_1_201_a.jpeg

8DC4B8AB-E35A-4DF6-9FD3-683761DD38CB_1_201_a.jpeg

Last edited:
Hello all, Thanks for the thumbs up and messages. If it wasn't for it being a 426 car I probably would have left it way back then. Yes it has rust and I am fortunate in having found much of the major items as NOS Chrysler. Still more to go although they are few and far between. I bought some storage totes and am going through boxes of NOS and used items that I haven't looked at in years, separating E body and B body items in order to see what I have and don't and also to find the fender tag. It is here somewhere. On the engine at Nick's Garage he may start on it this Friday on the live show. Now don't confuse my standard bore and stroke Mopar Performance block with the Legend 541 stroker that he started assembling on this weeks Monday evening show 2\20\24. Both of this engines will feature the Edelbrock top end kit and the only difference in them will of course be displacement. This should be a nice comparison in HP and torque. I elected not to bore and stroke a new standard block as it seemed unnecessary. Once I gather together all or most of what I have I will post an update. Oh, and Bob Horman has helped with much more than the rear sheetmetal. Not only other specific Charger items but also in his knowledge on these car. He has been a great help and continues to do so. Enough for now. Thunder Road!! Kocan

View attachment 1613618

View attachment 1613619
Well all I got to say is get your camera ready. Bob Horman here telling Mike to get the camera ready. I did my 68 Hemi charger and took about 80 pictures of my restoration. Looking back I wish I have taken 280 pictures of my car. This website and Hemmings motor news helped me find the parts I needed to get my car back. Mike if you find you need something for this restoration, post your needs on this website. This website has sooooooooooo many great guys who will goooooooooo out of their ways to help you. Every member on this website has been thru some form of restoration of our beloved Mopar's. Take before and after pictures of all you do to the big green (kermit, its not easy being green) Mopar. your friend Bob Horman

Hey Bob, Yes you are correct on this website. I have been following it for many years and I even updated to the Gold membership this morning. It is time to get this Charger moving and also other projects that due to life have been stag-net for way too long. The engine at Nick's is the kicker in renewed motivation. Probably not enough life left in finishing all of them but, we will see some progress. Retirement this August and that should help. Oh, I looked at the NOS taillamp assemblies and one is the early design with the socket protector ears and the other is the later style without them. I guess I will have to find another with ears and sell the later assembly. Bob, again, thanks for all your help. Thunder Road!! Kocan

Hey Bob, Yes you are correct on this website. I have been following it for many years and I even updated to the Gold membership this morning. It is time to get this Charger moving and also other projects that due to life have been stag-net for way too long. The engine at Nick's is the kicker in renewed motivation. Probably not enough life left in finishing all of them but, we will see some progress. Retirement this August and that should help. Oh, I looked at the NOS taillamp assemblies and one is the early design with the socket protector ears and the other is the later style without them. I guess I will have to find another with ears and sell the later assembly. Bob, again, thanks for all your help. Thunder Road!! Kocan
Mike, you scar need the kind of taillamps with the 2 little protector. Good luck finding another early taillamp with the protecter ears. I believe earlier design and discontinued on January 1, 1968. the new design without the 2 small finger on the taillamps. I ran into the same problem with my car buying 2 NOS taillamps but from different sellers. I got one of each in my car. I will talk to you about that next time you call me Bob Horman

Hello again, Found it. Interesting 426 car. As I said plain Jane non sure grip, strip delete. Thanks for the likes. Kocan

9CA1851F-CE73-457F-B557-8C9C4EC357D2.jpeg

1237D9A1-4BD0-425F-B608-FAF8B89CCC6B.jpeg

D909D2AA-A1F2-4F9E-8043-04D0DD94425F.jpeg

That sucker is crusty for certain, but I am with you and would tackle the restoration of it just because of what it is. And kudos to Bob for helping you find the NOS pieces it deserves.
Thanks, It is a lot of work. I hope I can do justice to this car. Bob is a great help. I would advise all who have these models to seak him out for information.

Damn fine booger welds on that motor mount conversion... :fool:
Good thing is all the sheet metal you'll need to bring that baby back from the dead is available today, days of scrounging salvage yards for parts is past. Best of luck! Hope to see a J code 68 Charger back on the road :thumbsup:
The chicken **** welds were easily broken, cut and ground down. all good. Thanks

Wow, cool project. Will look forward to watching it come together and the engine build on Nicks Garage.
Hello, The engine build was the final driving force in starting on this. Lots of cool NOS factory parts to be installed. Of course I still need a few more items. As for Nicholas, he is running the wrenches and it should be a nice build with a dyno test. Thanks. Kocan

Nice project. No such thing as a parts car 68-70 Chargers these days. Luckily, AMD can help save that car.
Hello, I am trying not to use much of the aftermarket parts. I have many of the factory parts as I can find and will use only what is really not available such as rear floor pan, dutchman panel and if I cannot find a rear lower trunk extension right (passenger) side then I will use AMD. Thanks. Kocan

Auto Transport Service
Back