1968 charger front wiring harness issue

Electrical & Ignition

1. Twalker

Twalker Well-Known Member

Local Time:
    2:12 PM
    Good morning folks, working on cleaning and testing my harnesses for my restoration and came across this strange issue. The only explanation I can think of is an error in the manual- but find that hard to believe.

see photo and mark up. It seems the left park and turn signal lamp connector has the wires reversed- clearly not something someone has done as a modification - the molded connector is just backwards relative to the wiring diagram. Right side checks out. When I tested the wires for the left side everything matches the reverse of the wiring diagram.

maybe it’s early and I am missing something obvious. Anyone have any thoughts?

A091B801-EE4B-489D-B81C-A35BC2B873B9.jpeg

2. SgtSuperbird

SgtSuperbird Well-Known Member

Local Time:
    1:12 PM
    Does the left signal terminal have two black wires w/yellow tracers going to the female portion of the plug? I can't tell from the picture, but I assume so. But to answer your question, it does appear it's backwards from the manual.

3. Twalker

Local Time:

Yes, left side terminal has two black wires with yellow tracers going to female side of plug.

Could someone compare to the harness on their charger?

4. PurpleBeeper

PurpleBeeper Well-Known Member

Local Time:
    12:12 PM
    I've seen mistakes in factory manuals before.....OR it could be a mistake in the wiring harness from the factory. Either way, you said that you tested the wires to make sure they went where they're supposed to go, only the colors of wires are backwards, correct? Electricity doesn't care what color the wire is it's traveling through, just that it ends up in the correct place. I think you're fine

5. Twalker

Local Time:
    just to close this out - installed the wiring as it is and tested all the lights - all work as expected. Must be an error in the 68 manual. Hope this helps the next person.

6. Nacho-RT74

Nacho-RT74 FBBO Gold Member FBBO Gold Member

Local Time:
    7:12 PM
    maybe terminals 2 and 3 are also reversed into the plug and up to the cab, hence why it worked anyway

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.