• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1968 Charger R/T 440HP engine with TOO high oil pressure

Well I pulled the fuel sending unit yesterday. When it came out the filter sock was missing, so today I dropped the tank and spent 30 minutes fishing out not one but two loose filters. Not sure where the second one came from but they're both out and I can put the sender back because it's working fine. I'm not sure why it wasn't working in the tank, both the ground and the wire going to the gauge were connected. I'm thinking that possibly one of those loose filters somehow may have gotten caught on the float and kept it from moving. The gauge was stuck between empty and 1/4 tank before I pulled it. I checked it with a multimeter and the ohms are very close to spec. I used some alligator clips and longer wires to connect it outside of the tank and moved the float by hand. The gauge moved appropriately, so I'll be putting everything back together, hopefully tomorrow. Test fitting the filters, it looks like the larger one is the one from this unit, nice tight fit. The smaller one fits loosely and I wouldn't trust it to stay on once it's in the tank.

20230411_152634.jpg

I found the problem with the sending unit. It's been out of the car for a day and a half. When I moved it on the work bench, the float became wet. A closer inspection and I found that it's full of fuel. Must be a pinhole somewhere, I can't see anything though. No wonder the gauge always read empty. The float full of gas was too heavy to raise up with the level of fuel in the tank. I had another chink-made unit here, so I swapped it into the tank and everything's working again.

20230412_152721.jpg

My gas gauge didn't work. When I pulled the tank and removed the sending unit there was no float at all, and nothing in the tank. I transferred the new float to the original sender and now it works fine.

Auto Transport Service
Back