• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1968 charger rear drum brake issue, help?

Twalker

Local time
5:56 AM
Reaction score
Guys, what am I doing wrong here? The tensioner wheel doesn’t really catch the stop bracket, just barely stops backward motion. Something seems off at the bottom.

0C7A579D-A29A-41AD-8778-C858ED98F27F.jpeg

Last edited:
Strange … I thought I’d try the driver side and it works perfectly. Maybe I just need to mod that bracket just a little so it catches.
image.jpg

Make sure to put a dab of Lithium grease or similar on the backing plate pads where the shoes contact the backing plate. Also lube the threads on the star wheel adjuster.

Make sure the self adjust cable is seated down on the pin on top where the springs attach. If its not, it will put a slight pull on the adjuster lock, keeping it from fully engaging the wheel.

First picture. Rotate the cable guide a little counterclockwise so it ain't holding the return spring away from the shoe. Looks like it might be binding, which could throw off alignment.
Also, I assume you have the left hand and right hand threaded adjusters on the correct sides of the car?

First picture. Rotate the cable guide a little counterclockwise so it ain't holding the return spring away from the shoe. Looks like it might be binding, which could throw off alignment.
Also, I assume you have the left hand and right hand threaded adjusters on the correct sides of the car?
And the cable guide looks like it's poped out of the hole ,not flush to the shoe. This will pull the cable back a bit.

Thanks for the help everyone! Think I’ve got it now - did two things - made sure the cable and guide were seated properly and made a slight bend and grind to the edge of the catch and all seems good now.

thanks again

Auto Transport Service
Back