• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1968 Charger RT - Still Learning

Love that color! How much are you selling it for, LOL!

Members, We were going to start the motor and noticed no oil pressure on the oil gauge. No oil pressure – no start. So I went on line and purchased an oil priming rod from Summit to engage the oil pump. I marked the teeth on the distributor drive gear and cam gear where they meet, removed the cam gear and installed the rod. I attached the rod to a drill and going counter clock wise, primed the oil pump. So I thought things were looking up. We turned the motor over and it would not start. So after 30 minutes of four letter words, we figured out the carburetor was not getting fuel. So we pulled the fuel pump. It appears that the push rod had chipped the end of the fuel pump lever. I don’t know if this normal, but I went ahead and ordered a new fuel pump. We will see what happens this week.

Good luck with your motor. Your color choice has inspired me to go with turquoise also. Is the LL1 Turquoise a '68 color choice? Mine is a '69 Charger and I was looking at G5 Seafoam Turquoise. But I may like your a little better since it seems a shade darker.

Members, After replacing the fuel pump and a little 112 racing fuel, the engine turned over without any problems. The excitement was short lived. We realized the alternator was not charging. A phone call to Year One and the replacement was in the mail. We moved on to bleeding the brakes. Another rookie mistake was made. I had purchased the wrong master cylinder - my car has power brakes. So I will have to get on line and find the correct master cylinder. Finally, to make matters worse, we discovered that the power brake booster was not working properly. So I have to pull it next week and send it out for rebuild. I went on line and found two booster restoration shops: Booster Dewey and The Ram Man. Any experience with either shops? Any assistance would be greatly appreciated. Scott

Members, slowly making progress. I found a 68 bumper jack and red line tire on line. I still have a bunch to complete - brake booster rebuild, master cylinder, vinyl top, interior, etc. Many thanks to members who have help me find original parts. Merry Christmas

21 DEC 16-1.JPG 21 DEC 16-3.JPG 21 DEC 16-5.JPG

Members, my car was featured on a local station. We are still months away from completion, but we are making progress. Scott

Members, slowly making progress. We got the grill, vinyl top, headliner and the quarter window regulators installed. The quarter window regulators were a bear. As you can tell the Charger emblem is off. We will have to modify. Next on the list: Power Brake Booster, Master Cylinder, and Turn Signal Indicators.

P1010025.JPG P1010024.JPG

Your car coming along nicely it's gonna be a beauty!

Members, slowly making progress. Installed the rebuilt brake booster, correct master cylinder, and turn signal signal indicators. Finally got the front and rear windshields in place. Next on the list: Door and quarter glass.

17 MAY 17.JPG 17 MAY17 v1.JPG 17 MAY17v2.JPG 17 MAY 17v3.JPG

Members, After 10 hours of pain, we finally got the power windows installed. Next on the list is interior and molding. Hopefully, we can complete the restoration before Chrysler Carlisle. A special thanks to a guy in Tampa named Theodore Burtis. I call him Mopar Burt. He flew up and installed the power windows.
Power Window - June 2017.jpg

Members,
The car is nearly complete. I still have a few minor corrections to make. Thanks to all you guys for the advice during the three year process.
Scott

19 Oct 17(1).JPG 19 Oct 17(2).JPG 19 Oct 17(3).JPG 19 Oct 17(4).JPG

Auto Transport Service
Back