• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1968 Charger vs Charger RT

2nd gen Chargers are stupid expensive. I added R/T badging to mine, I have also added anything else I have wanted.
Easy to service disc brakes.
440 and manual trans with overdrive to drive further than local car shows.
Bolstered Legendary interior seats.
Hope to get aftermarket A/C in, in the spring, not dealing with heavy overcomplicated stock A/C box.
It's not a original R/T so nobody cares. Everything I have done is reversible in case someone feels the need for a boring 383/2 bbl auto with 10" drums to be returned.

Thanks for all the helpful comments. I did go look at a 68 Charger this weekend. It looked better in the pictures than in person. The trunk was bad, the quarter panels where bad, the valance panel under the rear bumper was bad, the front floors were bad. It had several dents in the body and the seats were ripped up. The car had a 2 barrel 383 that I was told did run. The seller would not budge from his price of $35k which seemed high to me considering all the work it needed. But...I'm no Charger expert so was I right or is that a fair price?

The seller also had a 68 Charger R/T. That car had a locked up 440. It had better floors. Not sure about the trunk. The rear valance panels were bad and so were both quarter panels. The car had LOTS of bondo showing all over it. That car was $38k. Again, not sure how good that price is.

Any thoughts on either car?
That kind of $$$ would buy a real nice driver '66-'67 B-body. Too bad you are stuck on a '68 Charger, as they are so expensive. I like the looks of them, but they are waaaay overpriced! As soon as you pay $35,000 for a roached roller, you are going to be upside down in this project, especially if you can't do most of the work yourself. Body body shops quote about 500 hours of labour on a B-body project. Even at $100 an hour, that's $50,000 just at the paint shop. Now, you're into it for $85,000. Then, you still have mechanical and interior.
There are a lot of cars that I would like to own ('69 A-12 SuperBee), but realize I could not afford it. I think you might enjoy the hobby more, if you don't sink a fortune into a project. Just my $0.02.

Thanks for the responses. I'm in no rush so I hope to not over pay. Luckily for me I'm pretty good at most things so I will probably do most of the work myself. In the meantime I'm chasing another bucket list car....a 1958 Plymouth. Those also seem to be crazy expensive. I think any car that was in a popular movie sky rockets in value.

That kind of $$$ would buy a real nice driver '66-'67 B-body. Too bad you are stuck on a '68 Charger, as they are so expensive. I like the looks of them, but they are waaaay overpriced! As soon as you pay $35,000 for a roached roller, you are going to be upside down in this project, especially if you can't do most of the work yourself. Body body shops quote about 500 hours of labour on a B-body project. Even at $100 an hour, that's $50,000 just at the paint shop. Now, you're into it for $85,000. Then, you still have mechanical and interior.
There are a lot of cars that I would like to own ('69 A-12 SuperBee), but realize I could not afford it. I think you might enjoy the hobby more, if you don't sink a fortune into a project. Just my $0.02.
Your $0.02 is now worth $0.15, adjusted for inflation since 1970. :D

Thanks for the responses. I'm in no rush so I hope to not over pay. Luckily for me I'm pretty good at most things so I will probably do most of the work myself. In the meantime I'm chasing another bucket list car....a 1958 Plymouth. Those also seem to be crazy expensive. I think any car that was in a popular movie sky rockets in value.
Christine, another favorite of mine.

Auto Transport Service
Back