• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1968 Charger vs Charger RT

WikedCharger

Local time
3:08 AM
Reaction score
Good morning,

I'm new to the Charger forum. I've always wanted a 68' Charger and I'm on the hunt for one right now. My question, what is the difference between a regular Charger and a Charger RT? I know the RT has badges but assuming the engines might be different as well as the rear end? Is there any appearance differences other than the badges?

Also, I'm seeing prices in the $35k-$45k for a rough but running example. Is that right? I've bought many other old cars but this would be the most expensive project I've ever had.

Thanks so much in advance for any guidance.

The only engines available on the R/T were the 440 and Hemi. They were not available on regular chargers. The R/Ts also had HD suspension and brakes etc.

Thanks for the quick replies. So, visually, the only exterior difference between an RT and non RT is the badges. Under the hood is the engine and underneath is the heavy duty vs non heavy duty suspension. Interiors are the same then I assume?

Other than Facebook, Craigslist and some forums any other good place to search?

Thanks so much.

A real R/T will cost a lot more than a regular charger, all else being equal. It requires a lot more than looking at the badges to tell if it is real. You should do a lot of research on decoding mopars before you jump in if you want a real one. Once you get the general idea, then you can ask specific questions on here. A charger R/T would have a VIN starting with XS.

Thanks. I just like the Charger body style. Not searching for an RT specifically, just a 68 Charger. I was just wondering what the differences were. Now, if I had a choice, obviously I would prefer the RT, but in reality, given the prices, I would be ok with a standard Charger. Most I've seen don't have an engine/transmission anyways so it lets me put whatever engine I want.

The R/T models would typically have a bumble bee stripe as well. I believe the stripe delete was not available until ‘69.

The R/T models would typically have a bumble bee stripe as well. I believe the stripe delete was not available until ‘69.
It could be deleted on the '68.

100_0570 (1).JPG

Migs has a 68 Chasrger roller in the Mopars for sale section,that is in California already. Buy something like that and build what you want. Trying to buy an R/T will deplete your budget before you even get started.

Didn't the R/T models also have "Torque boxes"?
Only Hemi cars and convertibles came with torque boxes in 68-70 b body cars. 71/72 b body cars if they came will 440 hp,440 Sixpack, or Hemi engines they had torque boxes.

Thanks for all the helpful comments. I did go look at a 68 Charger this weekend. It looked better in the pictures than in person. The trunk was bad, the quarter panels where bad, the valance panel under the rear bumper was bad, the front floors were bad. It had several dents in the body and the seats were ripped up. The car had a 2 barrel 383 that I was told did run. The seller would not budge from his price of $35k which seemed high to me considering all the work it needed. But...I'm no Charger expert so was I right or is that a fair price?

The seller also had a 68 Charger R/T. That car had a locked up 440. It had better floors. Not sure about the trunk. The rear valance panels were bad and so were both quarter panels. The car had LOTS of bondo showing all over it. That car was $38k. Again, not sure how good that price is.

Any thoughts on either car?

Only Hemi cars and convertibles came with torque boxes in 68-70 b body cars. 71/72 b body cars if they came will 440 hp,440 Sixpack, or Hemi engines they had torque boxes.
Add 66-67 cars to that list as well.

Auto Transport Service
Back